ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Babylon 10

<< < (2/3) > >>

kilele:
Hello, I like Babylon as well. Another dictionary compatible with their free .bgl glossaries is GoldenDict

Curt:
-thanks for telling, kilele!  :up: Please tell, if you can, if the Babylon dictionaries should stay inside the /Babylon folder, or if I must copy them to /GoldenDict?
 :tellme:

kilele:
you can set different path directories at
edit->dictionaries->sources->files

Curt:
Another dictionary compatible with their free .bgl glossaries is GoldenDict http://goldendict.org/ -kilele (January 20, 2013, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
-thanks for telling, kilele!-Curt (January 20, 2013, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
you can set different path directories at edit->dictionaries->sources->files-kilele (January 20, 2013, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really need this program to have a user's manual for total beginners!
(edit: they have screenshot manuals, if you know what I mean, but only for the more advanced stuff, not the basic "to translate, use Ctrl+mouseClick", which a program like Babylon has)

I have so far only tested the "scan popup" feature, because I don't want the big 'normal' window (will not close on Exit).

GoldenDict is working really well inside Explorer (where I don't want it to work), but not yet so well in Firefox (where 99% of my needs are). So far (I cannot find any useful manual) I have only been able to first mark a word, and then click a hotkey (Ctrl+C or Ctrl+X (!!!)). The "scan popup" will be visible instantly (this is really fast), but then I have to activate the popup before it will obey the Exit . If I open my (third-party) clipboard and press Enter on a clip (to make it the first and active clip), GoldenDict will pop up (unwanted), because a clip was added to the clipboard. What is even worse is that this clipboard controlled activation is preventing me from using GoldenDict's "scan popup" window if I want to copy its translation / explanation!

All this could be a little too much for my nerves, but GoldenDict deserves more chances. It really is excellent in many ways. Just the pleasure of seeing all my expensive dictionaries and thesauri again is wonderful. Can't this program use the "normal" procedure: Ctrl+mouseClick ?

kilele:
Kurt, I'm glad that you find this dictionary useful. Actually I prefer Babylon because of its ability to identify phrasal verbs and idioms just by clicking over a single word.
Anyway Goldendict is a nice free alternative which allows to manage glossaries made by multiple dictionary programs.
The scan popup feature works really well on pdf, I use it unchecking "only show when selected keys are pressed" which I can't manage to get it to work this way on Firefox/Opera, in that case I double click a word and then press "ctrl+c+c"

Can't this program use the "normal" procedure: Ctrl+mouseClick ?
-Curt (January 20, 2013, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
just check "only show when selected keys are pressed" and choose 'control', then press control and mouse over a word.
This works well for pdfs and internet explorer, for other browsers is broken so ctrl+c+c seems the only way for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version