ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Java Update on Tuesday

<< < (2/5) > >>

f0dder:
Oh, what was that language that so many Android programs are written in? ;)-Renegade (January 14, 2013, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, the language is Java, but the base libraries are different and Dalvik is different from the Java VM... so I'd be more than a little surprised if a Java exploit would work on Android :)

Renegade:
Oh, what was that language that so many Android programs are written in? ;)-Renegade (January 14, 2013, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, the language is Java, but the base libraries are different and Dalvik is different from the Java VM... so I'd be more than a little surprised if a Java exploit would work on Android :)
-f0dder (January 14, 2013, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. I didn't mean to point to vulnerabilities, but only to the longevity of Java.

FWIW - Mobile and desktop OSes are fundamentally different in a number of ways when you look at them from a programming perspective. Mobile OSes limit the ability of the programmer to cause damage or to be malicious. Not that it's impossible, but simply more difficult. If you look at bada for example, you have almost complete, 100% encapsulation, making any vulnerability (if any turned up) trivial to fix with zero impact on the API.

f0dder:
Good point. I didn't mean to point to vulnerabilities, but only to the longevity of Java. -Renegade (January 14, 2013, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh yeah, it's not going away anytime soon.

Most people (except all use Danes, and people who play MineCraft) won't really see (or at least won't really need) Java on the desktop - but it's driving quite a lot of web infrastructure, and then there's the whole mobile thing... I predict Android will be with us for a few years to come :)

Tinman57:
[ I noticed this when I installed the latest version.  Fortunately I read all of the install windows instead of just clicking away to get things installed....]

Why does crapware still exist? Follow the Silicon Valley money trail

Oracle this week released an update for its widely used Java software, fixing a zero-day vulnerability that was being actively exploited to install malware via drive-by downloads.

But before you begin patting Oracle on the back for its quick response, note two things about that update:

•It might not actually fix the underlying security issues.
•Along with the must-install security update, Oracle continues to include crapware.

Yes, adding insult to injury, Oracle is actually making money and cheapening your web browsing experience by automatically installing the Ask toolbar, which in turn tries to change your default search engine and home page.

I have no idea how much money Ask pays and Oracle collects off this seamy, sleazy practice. I can only assume it's enough to justify selling out Java users.
--- End quote ---

http://www.zdnet.com/why-does-crapware-still-exist-follow-the-silicon-valley-money-trail-7000009830

f0dder:
They've been bundling the Ask toolbar for a while, btw, it's not introduced with the security fix.

But yeah, it's whOracle - #2 on my list of really evil software companies, where crApple still reigns supreme.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version