ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Remove Hidden Boot Partition

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
I really hate the OEMs for doing that crap - sure, it's a relatively fast and convenient way to do recovery (the same mechanism has been used for first-time install on the machines I've seen it on), but it's really crappy not offering any kind of install media, but requiring you to create it yourself from the recovery partition.
-f0dder (January 14, 2013, 06:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is crappy. But in addition to saving a buck for media, I think it's also encouraged indirectly by Microsoft since the OEM-branded copy of Windows that ships with your machine is not licensed for reinstallation on any machine other than the one it originally came loaded on. Same goes for that bargain-priced copy of MS Office you might have ordered along with it. That too is not transferable to any other machine under the terms (at least in the US) of the EULA it usually comes with.

Comes as a jolt to many business customers who order new PCs and assume they can just move their previous machine's copy of Office over to it. Many times it will activate depending on how old a version of Office it is. But when it doesn't, and you call Microsoft to get it straightened out...well...SURPRISE!
 :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version