ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A new harddisk for my old notebook?

<< < (3/3)

mouser:
I wouldn't look at it as throwing away your 10yr old faithful laptop.  I would look at it as retiring it and keeping it available as a backup, and transitioning to a new one before it dies.  You could squeeze a few more years out of it with a new hard drive, but depending on how much trouble+expense that is, it might be best to just keep it as a backup, and skip the upgrade that you don't need if you use it as a backup pc.

helmut85:
Remember Laura Nyro.

barney:
helmut85, I have a couple of old WinBooks, one (1) Win2K, one (1) early WinXP.  Can't replace the batteries - not feasible from a logistical standpoint - so cannot use as portable devices.  Can't upgrade, because they don't have the power to handle current OSes - one (1) of 'em even strains at Linux distros.  Can't (not financially feasible) get new hard drives, 'cause they're old technology.  So there they sit:  too good to throw away, too underpowered/old to use - closet fodder only.  

The point to all this?
These boxes are:

* unrepairable from a financial standpoint
* unable to handle current software
* unable to handle current OSes
* unable to handle current hardware, e.g., USB 1.1 is highest level
* security risks due to old OSes
* security risks due to old software
* parallel & serial ported - no longer in use
* VGA ported - difficult to find a current display for it
There's more, but that list should suffice.

This thread/topic got me to thinking about them.  I won't live long enough for them to become valuable as real-world antiquities. although they already are in our (DC) world.  Sometime this year I will strip them down for parts - wonder if the HDDs will be worth keeping? - then discard the unusable bits.  Thus will I rid myself of two paper weights, kept only because of an emotional attachment that has become invalid.  You might consider my  decision while making yours.

[edit]
I see I'm late again.  Oh, well, lI'll let it stand anyway.
[/edit]

4wd:
For (not even guaranteed) transfer to a new computer, you need such 50$-for-just-one-transfer sw-helmut85 (January 08, 2013, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can't you just do a whole disc image to an external, swap the HDD, boot off the Paragon recovery CD, restore the image to the new HDD ?

That's the way I've done it for the last 8+ years or so - bonus is I get a backup and prove that it works.

here, it's important to not recreate your previous 60 giga (or whatever) partition on the new hdd, but to use the whole capacity of your new hdd (didn't get an answer ho much space will finally be addressed, controller-wise, but see below)
--- End quote ---

Not really an issue since you can use one of the many free partitioning programs to resize the partitions afterwards as you see fit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version