ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A new harddisk for my old notebook?

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
Nice machine. :Thmbsup:

Ok:

Technical Data

Processor: Intel Pentium-M P740 (Dothan) 1,73 GHz, Centrino
Cache: L1: 32 KB, L2: 2MB, FSB 533 MHz, 915 Chipset
RAM: 1 x 512 MB DDR-SDRAM
HDD: 80GB, Ultra ATA/100
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6400 with Turbo Cache up to 128MB graphics memory. PCI Express
LAN: 10/100 MBit Ethernet
WLAN: 802.11 b/g
Modem: international V.90, 56K flex
Display: 15,4-Zoll TFT x-black(2nd generation, double lamp technology), WXGA, 1280 x 800 pixel
Sound: built in stereo speakers, Intel High Definition Audio Sound
Interfaces: i.LINK (IEEE 1394), 3 x USB 2.0, earphone, microphone input, RJ11, display output, ethernet 10 BaseT/100 Base-TX, 1x PCMCIA Typ-I/II CardBus, Memory-Stick-Slot (Duo, PRO compatible)
Optical Drive: Double Layer CD/DVD +/- Brenner + RW für CD und DVD
Size (mm): 36,4 x 2,5-3,6 x 26,5 (mm)
Weight (kg): 2,9 kg
Waranty: 2 years bring in warranty, optional extendable up to 4 years.
--- End quote ---

And you have a Toshiba MK6025GAS HD. Specs here.

So you definitely have the older ATA100 Ultra (also known as an ATA6) PATA type drive. That is not a SATA as I suspected.

First up, you'll need to take a look around and see if anybody has a suitable PATA drive in stock for purchase. One problem is that the ATA6's mostly came in 40GB or 80GB models. I don't recall if they came bigger than that, although I'd guess they probably also made them in 120 and 160GB sizes before they became obsolete. (UPDATE: They did. Seagate made a 160GB model.)

I ran a quick scan of all my usual sources and I don't see any drive of this type being available. At least not from any source I'd be comfortable sending my credit card info to.

Take a look around and see what you can find. Unfortunately, this quest may be over before it starts if a larger drive can't be located. :(

helmut85:
Remember Laura Nyro.

mouser:
The other question you need to answer is how easy is it to replace the hard drive -- in some laptops it's very easy, in some it's a real pain.

Just something else to factor in to your calculation.  I think 40hz advice was dead on -- if it were me i would leave this laptop alone and get yourself a new (used) one.

helmut85:
Remember Laura Nyro.

x16wda:
Oh, I don't think you have enough options yet...  how about trying Disk2vhd while it's all running fine, then run the resulting vhd in Virtualbox on a new PC... then you get your familiar environment and programs, just as they are now, running probably at least as fast, on new hardware (with a new warranty)?  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version