ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rumors of Adobe releasing CS2 for free? (true or NOT true)

<< < (12/17) > >>

InstantFundas:
Note CS2 isn't compatible (at least officially) with Vista or later.
-Carol Haynes (January 07, 2013, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm using Photoshop Cs2 on Win7 64bit

dr_andus:
Well, this looks like the official statement then:

Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers.  While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers.
--- End quote ---

They seem to agree that the situation is open to interpretation... They are only explaining their original intention and motivation here. But apparently now the download page doesn't even require an Adobe ID any more, i.e. in the last 12 hours they've decided to make access even easier. Hmm... Conflicting messages...

rgdot:
Confusing, conflicting and fishy too, 'technical glitch' shouldn't require anything being turned off permanently.

tomos:
Whether it was a mistake or not, they can only really do what they are doing - anything else would be really bad PR.

As far as finding new customers, I don't think that's their motivation. CS is the de facto standard in print publishing - and a major player in e-pub, web, and media development. So it's not like they need to get a huge influx of users. Especially since their Creative Cloud offering brings any and all of their products within financial reach of just about anybody that actually needs them.
-40hz (January 07, 2013, 08:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
what corporation doesnt need/want more customers ;)
I dont know the figures but I rekon Adobe have only gotten really huge with the advent of digital camera and the popularity of Photoshop amongst amatuer enthusiasts.

They've been promoting the Cloud lately (per email at least) - and this episode, whether intentional or not, has gotten them an awful lot of promotion for the server cost.

tomos:
Why does a program have to be vilified simply because most people prefer using it rather than its competition?-40hz (January 08, 2013, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I personally dislike Adobe for killing Macromedia Freehand - but really Macromedia is to blame there. It was possibly illegal for Adobe to buy and kill Freehand thereby giving themselves more or less a monopoly in the vector drawing market, but again, I have to admit that Freehand really failed -in spite of being the superior product- because of Macromedia.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version