ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rumors of Adobe releasing CS2 for free? (true or NOT true)

<< < (9/17) > >>

helmut85:
"This Adobe staffer does not say that you're free to install and use what you may have downloaded in good faith. It simply says Adobe has no intention of going after people just for downloading it."

Brilliant discernment, 40hz, a textbook example of logic applied (as it should be applied)!

Wraith888: Technically, you're perfectly right, and I knew this even before I made my request. But since the thread starter insisted on his thread being NOT SPAM, then all of us had us in a big way, to change NOT SPAM into SPAM would be just retaliation and more elegant at that then saying something like, all those who did this to us are big a...

So why not change the subtitle to [ATTN: SCAM, WORSE THAN ANY POSSIBLE SPAM]

Or something. ;-)

40hz:
@40hz
I agree with you but we are living in he world where you subscribe games (Steam does not sell games any more) and some people need warnings on hot coffee cups.

-fenixproductions (January 07, 2013, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh I agree. No argument there.

My point was mincing definitions doesn't play too well in US courtrooms. At least not in situations where the intent of the wording plus a huge amount of everyday common understanding is concerned. They save that for constitutional issues - not commercial license disputes. Those are usually straight forward debates.  :)

dr_andus:
Out of curiosity...where was the official announcement from Adobe saying it was going to be free to begin with?

Oh...that's right! They never did say that did they? ;D
-40hz (January 07, 2013, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. Though clearly now their staffer thinks there will be one. So that's a bit of an admission that there is a "situation."

In any case, it does seem a bit unusual that a software company would post the download link and the licence key underneath it on their website and then announce that fact on their public forum... It's hardly surprising that even a reputable publication such as Forbes would misunderstand that and would publicise it. Adobe has made it infrastructurally possible for this situation to arise.

wraith808:
Wraith888: Technically, you're perfectly right, and I knew this even before I made my request. But since the thread starter insisted on his thread being NOT SPAM, then all of us had us in a big way, to change NOT SPAM into SPAM would be just retaliation and more elegant at that then saying something like, all those who did this to us are big a...

So why not change the subtitle to [ATTN: SCAM, WORSE THAN ANY POSSIBLE SPAM]
-helmut85 (January 07, 2013, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

It wasn't by any means malicious or intentional- he was just posting a link to an article, and what he thought was helpful information.  And the NOT SPAM is because most of these types of posts are assumed to be so.

So no retaliation necessary. :)

tomos:
If they had an ounce of sense or creativity (yes, yes :p) they should treat it as an offer, and as advertising - and allow upgrade pricing to all downloads (it's possible that this is currently the case - if you can actually access any adobe pages).
They would pull in a lot of illegal users, most of whom simply could not afford the full price, and I reckon they would make a pretty penny.-tomos (January 07, 2013, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

of course, I forgot: what they want is for us to join the subscription parade - the ad on the relevant download page is for 'Creative Cloud'.

See, it's working already for them ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version