ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Smart Edit (for Novelists & Creative Writers)

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
- learned something new, thank you! (You can't google for pictures if you don't have some search term, now you gave me the search terms needed for finding!)-helmut85 (January 07, 2013, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now learn something "new": Go to Google Images, drag a copy of my picture and drop it on the search box, and without typing any search terms, you will instantly get this:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Curt (January 07, 2013, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The strange thing is, it's not searching on the image.  I 'edited' my avatar from a different image.  Even though it has been edited (the face removed), it still shows the images for the original image- not the edited one, even though I use it on several sites.

helmut85:
Interesting info! Somebody with sufficient time and motivation could open up pictures with a text / hex editor and change various lines there, in order to identify "header parts" or such that will prevent google's finding them again, whilst perhaps preserving the original picture, more or less. Variant: don't open the original files, but blow parts of them up, then take a screenshot of details, and save these details as completely new files: This part should work for sure. Then, do the same with bigger parts of the original picture, and see at which size google's recognition function will take in. Two additional probs here: Between tries, you must wait for google to process the thing, to begin with, a very big annoyance here (Upload intermediate results in groups, then wait, then the next: booh!). And, you won't get good quality by blowing up to almost original size, then screenshot the thing. (Or do the screenshot from some of these new high-resolution Apple screens.)

Results could make a good journal article, though.

tomos:
- learned something new, thank you! (You can't google for pictures if you don't have some search term, now you gave me the search terms needed for finding!)-helmut85 (January 07, 2013, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now learn something "new": Go to Google Images, drag a copy of my picture and drop it on the search box, and without typing any search terms, you will instantly get this:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Curt (January 07, 2013, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The strange thing is, it's not searching on the image.  I 'edited' my avatar from a different image.  Even though it has been edited (the face removed), it still shows the images for the original image- not the edited one, even though I use it on several sites.
-wraith808 (January 08, 2013, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can get in trouble that way :)
I presume it's still got a thumbnail of the original in the file somewhere courtesy the editor. I dont remember exactly why that often doesnt get updated, or what the solution is. Was mentioned here on dc a while back (maybe by Shades?) but I wouldnt even begin to know where to look (here).

helmut85:
It's an interesting subject indeed, as soon as we presume they use, more or less / more from (than we thought) of the underlying code of pictures, and not so much ai checking those pictures from the outside. But if we were totally right (which we are probably not: they'd do a combination of both, I suppose), once a picture is "screenshot" and restored from there, they wouldn'd recognize it anymore, and I think they're a lot smarter than that.

Also, when manipulating the underlying "text", the question is, will the thing you'll have got after that manipulation, be a real picture, or will it be a pseudo-picture, i.e. recognized as a picture, by google, but not open anymore in a viewer (since it's become "defective" in the process, or then not?).

Any google insiders here willing to speak?

Curt:
I am certainly no 'google insider' or techie, but I use the feature in mention every day, so I can speak from experience. And I really think that Google uses an advanced but otherwise identical technique as any desktop "Find duplicate or similar photo"-program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version