ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"We changed your language to German"

<< < (3/4) > >>

helmut85:
Remember Laura Nyro.

helmut85:
Remember Laura Nyro.

tomos:
It's a while since I ran XP and I'm not fully sure what your problems were with the US English that the Oz English fixed, but seems to me the "English (Ireland)" choice would be closer to home (sounds like you're on the European continent) - with the advantage of metric and euros (but again, I cant remember what exactly is changed with the language choice).

I've since moved onto Windows 7 & 8.
I bought 7 -in Germany- very cheaply as a multi-language Dell OEM; and in 8 the language can be changed easily, just download the language of your choice.

helmut85:
tomos, the Irish alternative was on my agenda if ever the Australian English didn't work, but it was fun to tweak all the number, date and hour settings back to Continental European standards, even in the Australian version. By the way, with the above settings, Win= German, then user AND language = English, even Google search isn't stable in English, but reverts to Dutch (!) once a day - (wrong) geolocalization over everything.

For 7, OEM or you, you need the more expensive versions ("prof" or something) in order to change languages, and 8 is finally "open" to your respective choice, then. But as said, geolocalization is the core term here, so any language setting isn't that helpful in the end, advertizing (and more such intrusive things) follow us.

Funny (but predictable): Most posts in the web re language settings, etc., aint about "how to change the settings" but "how to detect the settings; I want to present my web site, accordingly" - hence my having to live with Dutch ads making me laugh here and there (I read some Dutch, and it's kind of "wrong German", so often it's really funny).

On the other hand, it's the Dutch, and the Scandinavian, who in non-natively-speaking English Europa speak really almost perfect English, and was it to be decided by me, I'd wish French and German kids had also the chance to learn really good English early on, as Dutch and Scandinavian kids do: English as a lingua franca (= the ex-Esperanto, buried forever, and that's a good thing, but the idea behind was brilliant) is exactly what we all need, all of us - but reality is, three thirds of adult Germans or French ain't able to express themselves in English, and that's a real problem. Rant off. ;-)

tomos:
I tend to use the search box in FF - that way I can make sure it's exactly the site I want, .de or .com, be it bing or google or duckduckgo.
Youtube I'm usually logged into so that's not a problem for me either.

For 7, OEM or you, you need the more expensive versions ("prof" or something) in order to change languages,
-helmut85 (January 07, 2013, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Last time I checked, I could get a multi-language OEM 7 Ultimate on ebay.de for under €50. And it's fully legal for anyone to install -in Germany at any rate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version