ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NASA Considers Putting an Asteroid Into Orbit Around the Moon

<< < (4/10) > >>

Renegade:
@Wraith - I hear ya. Don't think I don't. I just didn't want to say anything too specific there because it starts to go down *that* road to the Basement. I figured I'd just leave it vague and to your imagination. For those living paycheck-to-paycheck, perhaps you can imagine it as tax cuts, putting $2.6 back into their pockets, making life just a little bit easier. Tonnes of ways there. FWIW - I think that organic ways of economic stimulation are likely better than artificial ways, as you pointed out an example there.

I'm all for cool stuff like space exploration, but, I find it kind of hard to justify the cost when there are much more pressing matters. But, that's just a matter of priorities and what people personally value. I'll leave it to people's imaginations about things that might be more important that putting an asteroid in orbit around the moon.

wraith808:
I totally agree- to a point.  I think it's really important that we start looking outward, and if we wait until we need to, there's just not going to be enough time.

IainB:
Oh I'm perfectly aware of the benefits that NASA provides.  I mean, if it wasn't for NASA we wouldn't have velcro,  just as an example.
-Tinman57 (January 06, 2013, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Very droll.

TaoPhoenix:
The tough part is that stuff like asteroids are such a "long game". The US is busy being wrapped up in artificially made budget crises as a political game, as shrill as anything ever created because they're literally attempting to hold the entire country hostage in a game of budgetary chicken.

While in Congress it's called "Pork", sometimes smaller groups really don't need all that much of a grant to produce lower-level benefits. Unfortunately all the money being sunk into hyped up Security junk is a big cause of why we can't look forward into the future. I would bet you that if we have this much trouble with security in "easy peasy ol' Earth" I can't imagine the security processes needed for a MoonBase!

Renegade:
I think it's really important that we start looking outward, and if we wait until we need to, there's just not going to be enough time.
-wraith808 (January 06, 2013, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

+

I would bet you that if we have this much trouble with security in "easy peasy ol' Earth" I can't imagine the security processes needed for a MoonBase!
-TaoPhoenix (January 07, 2013, 02:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Kind of makes it sound like we should be preparing for a massive alien invasion! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version