ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software that sounded useful, so you bought it, but then...

<< < (7/7)

Dormouse:
Replacing Snagit (after many happy years of use) with Screenshot Capture is a perfect example.
-app103 (January 10, 2013, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1  I did the same about two years ago and have never looked back.   :)

Jim
-J-Mac (January 10, 2013, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

+.1  ;D - I've not updated Snagit for a while and recently downloaded Screenshot Captor again. I might get there in another decade or so.

robinsiebler:
HanDBase. I don't recommend it.-robinsiebler (January 10, 2013, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Worrying, because I'd begun to ponder it again.  I still use a Palm, and HanDBase is one of the few apps that have Windows, Palm, Android and other mobile platforms.  It also begs the question: what actually is a good, usable, affordable database app for Windows, if you don't have/don't want to use Microsoft Access?
-rjbull (January 10, 2013, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I stumbled across this - DataTap (Genius was actually useful for once). It looks promising. I will report back it if is any good.

Curt:
I stumbled across this - DataTap. It looks promising. I will report back it if is any good.-robinsiebler (January 11, 2013, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

-no, that's not how this thread works: You have to buy a license, and then come back and tell, the product is no good!
 :P

robinsiebler:
-no, that's not how this thread works: You have to buy a license, and then come back and tell, the product is no good!
 :P -Curt (January 11, 2013, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

The app is only $2, so I could do that just to spite you!  :P

app103:
Replacing Snagit (after many happy years of use) with Screenshot Capture is a perfect example.
-app103 (January 10, 2013, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1  I did the same about two years ago and have never looked back.   :)

Jim
-J-Mac (January 10, 2013, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

+.1  ;D - I've not updated Snagit for a while and recently downloaded Screenshot Captor again. I might get there in another decade or so.
-Dormouse (January 10, 2013, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I began with I think it was Snagit v3 in 1999, then upgraded to v5, stayed there for the longest time, then upgraded to v7 for about an hour, downgraded back to v5 and kept with that before finally moving to Screenshot Capture.

The upgrade to Snagit 7 wasn't much fun for me. They really didn't add any new features I was that interested in, had rearranged the UI to make it more confusing to me, and the slowness of the application made it not worth it to get used to the new UI. I was used to hitting a hotkey and the screenshot being made instantly. With v7 I had to wait, and the waiting was a real productivity killer when I had to make a lot of screenshots.

Screenshot Capture is nice and zippy, has tons of features I like and use. I never liked Snagit's editing features and used to drag my screenshots into Paintshop Pro for that stuff. I actually like SSC's editing features enough to drag other images in there (that are not screenshots), to take advantage of some of SSC's editing stuff.

As long as SSC stays zippy, I will continue to use it. If it ever shows signs of heading down the path to becoming slower than a constipated snail, I will not hesitate to stop upgrading it and roll back to the last "good" version, but I don't think mouser would tolerate that kind of slowness in his app. It would probably annoy him long before it got a chance to annoy any of his users.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version