ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software that sounded useful, so you bought it, but then...

<< < (4/7) > >>

fenixproductions:
For me it would be Axialis IconWorkshop. I think I had bought it through BitsDuJour and found out how overrated it is.

Very rare updates which brings almost nothing new. I admit that some time ago they have changes UI completely but other news were only icon packs.
Few years ago someone requested layers support and they did not implement it so far but gave Image Objects instead. And this is just drag'n'drop + Explorer panel.
There is still no nice mouse scroll zoom and tablet support is little bit strange.

I have it more than year and I recollect using it about 5 times. More often I create icons with Inkscape + Greenfish Icon Editor which are free.

J-Mac:
I made the mistake of purchasing both Paperport Pro and Omnipage Pro two years ago. I haven't found any decent utility in either. I purchased them only because of a promotion from Nuance, from whom I had purchased PDF Converter Pro a few years in a row. The discount was substantial, totaling $129 for both. However neither has worked very well at all. Paperport almost always freezes whenever I use it, and apparently that is a problem for a lot of users. No help from Nuance, as usual.

Those are most likely the worst software purchases I have made.

Jim

helmut85:
"apparently that is a problem for a lot of users. No help from Nuance, as usual."

That's right two times, Paperport isn't worth much, and Nuance support is worth nothing. (On the other hand, I once bought, for several hundred euro then, believe it was 270 euro = 380 bucks, or was it even 340 euro?, an early version of Omnipage - terrible! Now, I own a free and crippled Omnipage version 16 (never bothered updating, in view of my big loss), and I'm rather with it: It's much, much better than the outrageously-priced early version had been!

In general, living in Europe and never buying from amazon.com (but often from amazon.co.uk/.de/fr, all with no probs whatsoever), I don't buy much anymore without first, and systematically, check for the product both in the web and especially in amazon.com - and of course, there you'd have been informed on both counts before spending your money. It's amazon.com, not .co.uk, not .de, not fr. - I want the sheer numbers: with 300 reviews, there's fewer chances of them all being manipulated than with just 12 or so on amazon.de/fr, for the same product.

On the other hand, if you have a recent version of Omnipage, re-install it and try to tweak it a little bit, it's not that bad at all for ordinary originals.

timns:
Don't get me started on Nuance! They do a lot of cold-calling if you're dumb enough to provide a phone number when you register anything with them. I had to get quite impolite before they took me off the list.

rjbull:
I received one of Serif's many offers a while back, this time for Omnipage Pro 15 at some very low price.  I don't use it often, and find the UI so bizarre I have to re-learn it each time, but it does seem to work quite well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version