ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Canonical now joins Microsoft and Apple in tracking users of its OS

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
^They could have made it opt-in.

That's not very much to ask for is it?

But they didn't.

Nor did they include a simple and obvious mechanism to opt-out. (see below comments)

So since they're not doing it that way, perhaps it may be instructive to ask why.

Because it's obviously not an oversight on their part. :)

And it's always worth remembering that a background communication process makes no distinction between which parties are accessing it. If you deliberately punch a potential security hole in something, there's no sure way of knowing what might eventually crawl through it.
:tellme:

This isn't politics - or "just" another social or privacy issue. It's a legitimate network and data security concern. 8)

-------------------------------
@m - Especially RMS and EFF when they are making claims out of thin air.
-mahesh2k (January 03, 2013, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you interpret  ;)what was being said by the EFF or RMS as "making claims out of thin air" then you really need to read what they said again.

mahesh2k:
They could have made it opt-in.
--- End quote ---

They did, there is an option in System settings for turning off amazon lens. Also you can completely remove via myunity or the terminal.

If you're asking for that opt-in during installation, I give you that they didn't provided but there is setting in the system settings pane for that.

Ath:
there is an option in System settings for turning off amazon lens.
-mahesh2k (January 03, 2013, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Isn't that called opt-out?

40hz:
^Myunity is not an official part of Ubuntu. AFAIK it's still an independently developed and maintained hack.

It's also not hosted in the official repositories. You need to add a ppa to your software sources on order to install it.

One more hoop to jump through...

That would be like saying you should never complain about something Microsoft did in Windows because there are tweaking tools you can download from Filehippo to fix them.
 ;D

40hz:
there is an option in System settings for turning off amazon lens.
-mahesh2k (January 03, 2013, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Isn't that called opt-out?
-Ath (January 03, 2013, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently I missed that if so. In which case I stand corrected on that point. :-[

I'll still stand behind the rest of what I said however. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version