ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

win7 + external HDD

<< < (2/4) > >>

Target:
Something easy to try, plug the drive into a USB 2.0 port on the suspect computer and boot off of a Linux LiveCD - it will at least isolate it to software or hardware.
-4wd (January 03, 2013, 11:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

great idea! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

4wd:
I meant to also add, it might pay to reset your BIOS to defaults and then make sure any USB settings are all enabled.

BTW, with most modern computers any USB storage device should show up in the Boot list, (when you press F11 or F12 usually at boot instead of Del), does it ?

If it's not showing up in the boot list then that might indicate a problem with either BIOS settings or the motherboard.

Stoic Joker:
Does the machine react (installing USB device) to the drive being plugged in at all? I've seen several storage devices try to grab the same drive letter as a mapped drive, which causes both to try and show up under the same letter. If that's the case the disk management console will let you force it to an accessible drive letter.

40hz:
I noticed you mentioned different hubs earlier.

It's generally not recommended you plug an external HD into a hub.

At the risk of asking an unnecessary question, did you try plugging it in directly to the PC?

f0dder:
Also, if you launch diskmgmt.msc (the Disk Management thingamajig), does the drive show up? Does it show up under "Device Manager -> Disk drives"? Are there any warnings in device manager?

I've had a few issues with USB storage not getting drive letters assigned, but that was back in the early XP days - haven't seen it since, and I've had a lot of drives attached to my current system (I've got 7 external USB2 disks, one eSata enclosure, one USB3 disk, and a bunch of different pendrives). Can't remember how I resolved it back then, but iirc it was nuking some registry keys or similar.

Windows does seem to handle USB devices somewhat lamely - re-installing/attaching/whatever drivers if you plug a device into a new USB port and whatnot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version