ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In search of ... hardware mavens for a [problematic] wi-fi TV installation

(1/1)

barney:
Folk,
I would like to install a TV in the garage.  Broadcast TV would work OK, but broadcast in this area is somewhat less than stellar.  And running cable to the garage is not feasible.  So, what I would like to do is to do this via wireless, i.e. via my current wi-fi network.  However I have no idea whether this is doable.

Before I start a [possibly futile] search on ways, means, & equipment, I need some idea whether this is even possible.

My thought is to attach a dongle to the [USB capable] TV that will allow it to access my existing cable signal via the wi-fi network.  I do not yet have the TV, so its requirements are flexible.  Current router is a Cisco/LinkSys E4200, but that can be changed.  I've dedicated a bit of savings to this project, but I don't yet know whether it can be accomplished, nor what I'd need if it can.

Rationale for this is that I have several friends, sports nuts, who like to smoke  :).  At this time of the year, the patio is a bit uncomfortable, so we retire to the garage for beer & smokes, but there's a dichotomy 'tween smoking and watching the game(s)  ;).  We also do a bit of laptop work during the smoking sessions when sports events are not extant  :o.

I know I've left a lot out, but the bare bones are here.  Mostly I just want opinions/suggestions about feasibility before I launch a search equivalent to tilting at windmills.

So, any thoughts on the matter?  Advice?  Suggestions?

Stoic Joker:
How far away from the house/WiFi router is the garage, and how strong is the siginal if you take a laptop into the garage now?

Have you considered using a powerline network between the house and garage? The TV could then be ethernet, and a WAP could be added for the laptops.

mouser:
Isn't this what the Slingbox device does?

barney:
How far away from the house/WiFi router is the garage, and how strong is the siginal if you take a laptop into the garage now?

Have you considered using a powerline network between the house and garage? The TV could then be ethernet, and a WAP could be added for the laptops.
-Stoic Joker (December 31, 2012, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Distance should be no problem:  ~fifty (50) - sixty (60) feet - it's attached, part of the back of the house.  Signal varies with atmospherics, but ranges anywhere from sixty (60) to ninety (90) percent.

Isn't this what the Slingbox device does?
-mouser (December 31, 2012, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Surprisingly enough (to me, anyway), I'd not heard of the Slingbox before  :huh:, but then, I'm not very much into TV most of the time ... just wanna keep the guests happy  :-\ :P.  'Bout the only time I watch, other than Football or Olympic stuff, is if an old musical is on or one of the old sci-fi bits, preferably black-and-white - love Richard Carlson  :P.

My primary concern was getting the cable signal to the TV, but seems as though the Slingbox  apparatus will take care of that.  I'd already considered a powerline system, but that will wait 'til I see if wireless will work.  No need for the powerline stuff if wireless works OK.  Appears this could be much simpler than I had thought.

<aside>
Lately, I'm finding it near impossible to keep up with all the hardware/tech coming out ... and I don't thimk age is the issue  :-\ ;D.
</aside>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version