ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The first rule of kernel maintenance: YOU DO NOT BREAK USER SPACE!

<< < (2/3) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Slashdot and Google reader :)
-Josh (December 28, 2012, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I got wind of it from Slashdot too. So semi-suddenly it has become tech news.

Renegade:
Slashdot and Google reader :)
-Josh (December 28, 2012, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I got wind of it from Slashdot too. So semi-suddenly it has become tech news.
-TaoPhoenix (December 28, 2012, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kind of bizarre how the f-bomb is front page news in real life, but you hear it 20x in any given TV show/movie and don't think twice about it.

f0dder:
Kind of bizarre how the f-bomb is front page news in real life, but you hear it 20x in any given TV show/movie and don't think twice about it.-Renegade (December 28, 2012, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think there'd have been a lot of fuzz if it was just that word - it's the general level of rudeness (perhaps even hostility?) being shown by Linus that does it.

Renegade:
Kind of bizarre how the f-bomb is front page news in real life, but you hear it 20x in any given TV show/movie and don't think twice about it.-Renegade (December 28, 2012, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think there'd have been a lot of fuzz if it was just that word - it's the general level of rudeness (perhaps even hostility?) being shown by Linus that does it.
-f0dder (December 28, 2012, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could be.

From the email that set him off:

Btw, why pulseaudio is even trying to access a V4L2 control?
I would expect an audio application to take care of its own audio
business, and to not try to access other random Kernel APIs.

In other words, only an application that handles video should be
using those controls, and as far as I know, pulseaudio is not a
such application. Or are it trying to do world domination?
--- End quote ---

To be honest, that sounds like a bit of a silly comment. I can see how that would set someone off. What APIs an application accesses isn't really relevant - only that it DOES access the API.

J-Mac:

Being straightforward and avoiding sugarcoating is fine, but IMHO you can do so in a respectful manner.

-f0dder (December 28, 2012, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sarcasm, f0dder; just sarcasm!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version