ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The first rule of kernel maintenance: YOU DO NOT BREAK USER SPACE!

(1/3) > >>

Josh:
Warning: NSFW Language

A pretty harsh attack at a kernel maintainer, as written by Linus Torvalds.

Renegade:
Read through the thread there. Interesting issue. The email that set off Linus, well, you need to read it yourself.

But very interesting find --- how did you come across that? It's a REALLY esoteric type of issue.

Josh:
Slashdot and Google reader :)

J-Mac:
Whew! Guess he was hoping to get that message across to Mauro loud and clear, huh?   :P

Gotta give him a little credit for not beating around the bush, or sugarcoating his reply...  but I don’t think I would appreciate those finer points if I worked for him!

Jim

f0dder:
Yet another example of Linus acting like a total bastard.

Yes, breaking userspace is bad. And "it looks tha pulseaudio/tumbleweed has some serious
bugs and/or regressions." wasn't a very well-thought-out answer. And the -ENOENT return value is sorta bizarro.

But none of that warrants going thermonuclear on the guy, unless (and probably not even then) he has a track record of introducing bugs and blaming it on other people (I haven't researched that - but given how Linus tends to behave, well...)

Being straightforward and avoiding sugarcoating is fine, but IMHO you can do so in a respectful manner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version