ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Windows install - How should I organize SSD, HDD, user folders?

<< < (4/4)

Stoic Joker:
Doesn't Windows detect when an UPS is connected, (via USB) ?

And if so, might there not be an setting you can change under Advanced Power Options to determine what action to take rather than utilise APCs limited software.-4wd (December 29, 2012, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure does, that's all I've ever used. The bundled UPS software is usually to bloated and ugly to look at, so I've always just let windows handle the UPS's time to sleep/shutdown battery level events.

Jibz:
I'd say disable the pagefile (or relocate to your HDD; it shouldn't be hit that much with 12 gigs of ram, so you shouldn't see a speed hit). RAM disk for %TMP% and %TEMP% (both the system and user environment variables) is nice, not only does it reduce wear&tear on the SSD, but can be a nice speed increase of some things. I find that at 1gig ramdisk works pretty well for my TEMP and FireFox profile (backed up, of course). I use SoftPerfect now, persistent disk, and it works pretty well.-f0dder (December 28, 2012, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you ever run into any problems with installers or windows update like the ones mentioned here and here?

4wd:
Have you ever run into any problems with installers or windows update like the ones mentioned here and here?-Jibz (December 31, 2012, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting, I can't say I've ever hit either of those problems and unlike f0dder, I use a non-persistent RAMdisk - System/User Temp and IE cache directories are located on it and at reboot/shutdown everything just vanishes.

Pale Moon, (Firefox), is set to not use disk based cache at all, (browser.cache.disk.enable = False), and profile remains in the User folder on SSD.

Program installs I've done that required a reboot are few, (Agnitum OSS is the only one I can think of off-hand), but they worked.

f0dder:
Have you ever run into any problems with installers or windows update like the ones mentioned here and here?-Jibz (December 31, 2012, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nope - installers that fail when %TEMP% is on a different partition than the install folder would be majorly b0rked. Ones that rely on %TEMP% existing across a reboot are also lame, IMHO, but they do exist - doesn't bite me since I use a persistent ramdisk, though.

Only issue I've run into has been lame installers that insist on extracting their (huge) payload to %TEMP% before moving/copying to target folder, instead of extracting directly - the nvidia drivers (damn huge mess, GPU drivers these days are a mini-OS of their own O_o) fall into this category. But that's (at least in case of nvidia setup) fixable by launching the installer with TEMP/TMP pointing to a location with more free space.

Also: the thread from which the specific guru3d post you link is to about storing the pagefile on a ramdisk. This is utterly moronic, unless you're on a 32bit Windows and have memory Windows refuses to use (because of the 4GB-physical memory limit). Being on 32bit Windows with >4GB ram is also pretty moronic, at least if you have enough >4GB ram that you could be interested in putting the pagefile there... <=4GB and you typically wouldn't have enough "shadow" memory that it's safe for pagefile usage.

TucknDar:
Finally got my new computer, now with no pixel errors, thankfully.

I've decided to partition both disks in two, with about ~75GB on the SSD for Windows + apps. I also left a ~40GB partition on the HDD for system images (to be transferred to an external disc eventually).

I'll use the library function for documents, pictures, etc and try to find some sort of system for using both the "data partition" on the SSD and the HDD for my files.

Thanks for the help and also for the mention of RamDisk. I'll try to use that as well :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version