ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Windows install - How should I organize SSD, HDD, user folders?

<< < (3/4) > >>

f0dder:
Tuck, I think I just chose "move folder" for My Documents, can't really remember. For the most part, I leave AppData and the likes in place, but for a few programs that for some unfathomable reason store way too much data there, I've done some NTFS Junctions - either to my SSD data partition, to my Velociraptor (for large stuff), or to my ramdisk (firefox profile, Website Watcher).

Anyone any idea how to move the hibernation file off the C: drive?-Carol Haynes (December 29, 2012, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
By choosing another partition as the boot partition :) - I'm not sure there's any other way. Haven't done intensive research, but look here - basically, Raymond Chen says it can't be done, and...
Again, it's another chicken-and-egg problem: to load the hibernation file, you need the file system driver, but the file system driver is in the hibernation file. If you keep the hibernation file in the root directory of the boot drive, the miniature file system driver can be used instead.
--- End quote ---

But perhaps you can do some really black magic with bcdedit?

4wd:
The free version of the software doesn't come with the ability to use command lines when the UPS is triggered - otherwise I could simply do a force shutdown.-Carol Haynes (December 29, 2012, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Use different software, Apcupsd ?

Doesn't Windows detect when an UPS is connected, (via USB) ?

And if so, might there not be an setting you can change under Advanced Power Options to determine what action to take rather than utilise APCs limited software.

Haven't done intensive research, but look here - basically, Raymond Chen says it can't be done, and...
Again, it's another chicken-and-egg problem: to load the hibernation file, you need the file system driver, but the file system driver is in the hibernation file. If you keep the hibernation file in the root directory of the boot drive, the miniature file system driver can be used instead.
--- End quote ---
-f0dder (December 29, 2012, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Beat me to it, was going to point to that :)

But perhaps you can do some really black magic with bcdedit?
--- End quote ---

Wouldn't make any difference if you did fiddle around with BCD, it only contains the info concerning reading the hiberfil.sys file, (and apparently editing it won't make it work neither will creating links - it's been tried).

Writing of the hiberfil.sys file is performed by some other function, (ie. hard-coded), so it will always go to the same place.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks - I will check out Advanced Power settings.

Changing the boot drive makes no difference - I currently have a multiboot setup (using BCDedit) with an SSD copy of Windows 7 and another on a hard disk. The hard disk is the boot device in the bios but Windows still insists on having a hiberfil.sys for each windows setup. Frustrating.

You'd think it wouldn't be hard to have a tiny hiberfil.sys on the C: drive for each windows that points to a file on a user defined partition if required.

TucknDar:
Thanks again!  I'm getting there :) Now just need to look at those pixel errors... :(

f0dder:
But perhaps you can do some really black magic with bcdedit?-f0dder (December 29, 2012, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wouldn't make any difference if you did fiddle around with BCD, it only contains the info concerning reading the hiberfil.sys file, (and apparently editing it won't make it work neither will creating links - it's been tried).
-4wd (December 29, 2012, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
You're probably right - at best, you might have been able to move it to the root of another partition (and/or perhaps changing name) - but the minimal NTFS driver is probably limited to the boot partition as well. Iirc it also is limited to the root directory, and doesn't support anything but filesystem basics (no junctions and symlinks, at least used to not support compression in XP... hardlinks might be supported since they're a very fundemental feature).

Writing of the hiberfil.sys file is performed by some other function, (ie. hard-coded), so it will always go to the same place.-4wd (December 29, 2012, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I wonder what level of NTFS support is available to that code? Perhaps the part can either be hacked to write to some other location, or supports symlinks or junctions? :)

Changing the boot drive makes no difference - I currently have a multiboot setup (using BCDedit) with an SSD copy of Windows 7 and another on a hard disk. The hard disk is the boot device in the bios but Windows still insists on having a hiberfil.sys for each windows setup. Frustrating.-Carol Haynes (December 29, 2012, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Is the BIOS boot drive the same as the Windows boot drive, though? I would expect the Windows boot drive to be the one that you're booting Windows from :)

You'd think it wouldn't be hard to have a tiny hiberfil.sys on the C: drive for each windows that points to a file on a user defined partition if required.-Carol Haynes (December 29, 2012, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Except that the hibernation file needs to be loaded pretty early in the boot process, and while a few extra features could probably be squeezed in, you have to strike a balance somewhere - the full NTFS.SYS is ~1.6meg on my system.

I guess I should find the time to read up on the NT boot process, I just realized that I've forgotten exactly what happens at which time :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version