ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... charting, course plotting software

<< < (2/2)

barney:
Here's the Google Play store Marine Navigation search.

From a quick look over some of the apps it looks like they are all raster based.

[addendum]
Looked at OpenCPN.  Looks good for Win, but no Android as yet <sigh />.
[/addendum]-barney (December 24, 2012, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wait, you would have looked at it when I mentioned it back here.....right ?   :P

Apparently there is an Android app in development.
-4wd (December 25, 2012, 01:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had totally forgotten that I'd already initiated the topic.  Comes of getting older, I guess  :-\ :( ;); maybe I need to start keeping a list  :-\ :P.  I did find a Win app that worked, at least to some extent, with SVG charts.  There's another I found through Active Captain that is currently in development, but not even an early beta released as yet.

Part of the reason I'm looking so hard for Android is the fact that Chris is a former telecom engineer - most of the stuff he worked with was Unix-based, so he's no stranger to command-line stuff.  That should make his transition into the Android world a bit simpler (he'll choke on or balk at Win8  ;D).  Might also be true of iOS - don't know it well enough to judge.  At any rate, I've been looking for this for a while.  The difficulty is twofold:  finding something that will handle SVG (as well as, perhaps, raster); finding something that is essentially portable, not tied to a single boat.  GPS capability would be nice, but not an absolute requisite.

Oops, guests ... playtime is over.

jpfx:
I like polar navy myself, they have a linux version and it runs with the free charts.
however I've not used it in anger yet as my sailing has primarily been using mkII eyeball.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version