ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XYplorer ends Lifetime License

<< < (2/4) > >>

rgdot:
Not really different than what I am saying. Lifetime carries a risk that is not really dependent on 12 years ago or today. Lifetime is always a limiter of upgrades, 12 years ago or not.
For example if you want to account for economic conditions for how you license your software then be ready to ride out recessions when you see benefits in growth times.

Not trying to be argumentative , just presenting a viewpoint.

barney:
There's a very loose usage of lifetime that consumers really cannot interpret:
* lifetime of the product
* lifetime of the purchaser
* lifetime of the company/corporation (the producer)
* lifetime of the software platform, e.g. the OS
* lifetime of the beach/coast where you bought your condoand there's no clear definition of which applies when you make the purchase.  And, should the provider be purchased by another entity, that can all go out the door.  Happened to me with WinZip:  had a lifetime license from Nico Mak, but that was ignored when he was bought out by the current (?) vendors ... so I quit using it.

Darwin:
Well, say what you like, but this is being handled in a courteous and professional manner. Holders of previously purchased lifetime licenses are being grandfathered and there's at least a 30 day heads up to everyone visiting the website, giving potential purchasers the option to buy lifetime licenses and be grandfathered. Contrast this with other developers who have changed licensing models with no announcement and no warning when "lifetime" licensees upgrade their software (Collectorz anyone? There are other examples but I no longer recall company names).

TaoPhoenix:
There's a very loose usage of lifetime that consumers really cannot interpret:
* lifetime of the product
* lifetime of the purchaser
* lifetime of the company/corporation (the producer)
* lifetime of the software platform, e.g. the OS
* lifetime of the beach/coast where you bought your condoand there's no clear definition of which applies when you make the purchase.  And, should the provider be purchased by another entity, that can all go out the door.  Happened to me with WinZip:  had a lifetime license from Nico Mak, but that was ignored when he was bought out by the current (?) vendors ... so I quit using it.

-barney (December 23, 2012, 10:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

If anything I'd call it the lifetime of the company, since I'd think the license would be valid even if your product break. Such as if you somehow restored it, or maybe even bought a new copy, seems to me the license is usually legit. It could sink into oblivion, and become obsolete, but probably still valid. It's when the company croaks that cross-buyouts of IP begin to get silly when the new owner can decide not to honor the previous license.

mouser:
Well, say what you like, but this is being handled in a courteous and professional manner. Holders of previously purchased lifetime licenses are being grandfathered and there's at least a 30 day heads up to everyone visiting the website, giving potential purchasers the option to buy lifetime licenses and be grandfathered.
--- End quote ---

You can't ask for anything more than that and nothing to complain about.

As long as a company does not take away the lifetime upgrade rights promised to people who purchased it originally, then there is nothing whatsoever for anyone to be upset about.  And giving a window for new people to jump on the bandwagon before the lifetime stuff changes is even nicer.  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version