ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Rant Thread!

<< < (11/13) > >>

wraith808:
I don't see any images on that page.  I'm running Adblock Plus in Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

TaoPhoenix:
Hmm.

Heh well first I got my first BlueScreen in months/years! But I assume that's just a fluke caused by other things.

But more to the point, not only is the image still there, but now the color scheme is inverted! (In Chrome).

The Rant Thread!

So who knows. It's not a big deal, just kinda interesting.

But I will leave Ghostery on in PaleMoon and/or Firefox, because this is another time it seems to pick up a few things that AbBlock isn't. (I think one of those other ones was the whole "ping.chartbeat.net" thread.)

Deozaan:
Where are you reading it?  On Tor.com?
-wraith808 (July 11, 2014, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah.

I have ignored most of the pics, only occasionally nuking a couple that really seemed annoying.

-TaoPhoenix (July 11, 2014, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure... I have adblock plus and ghostery running... and didnt see any of what you were talking about.
-wraith808 (July 12, 2014, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Adblock certainly doesn't do anything, and it's fair to say they're same site ads, so arguably among the legit ads possible. My rant was just about them being big pictures which always beat out text. I just put back Ghostery, and it didn't seem to do anything.

Try this page:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/10/star-trek-the-next-generation-qq-whoq

Then see if you see this image in the post:
http://www.tor.com/images/stories/blogs/11_10/st-many-splendors.jpg

If you do, that's my point. If you don't, then we have a new topic because if we're both running Adblock (which one? I'm running edge) and Ghostery and I see it and you don't, that's a technical thing to discuss.
Keith D has written a lot of books, and I'm sure some of them are pretty good. It was just a bit much of selling as I clanged through his entire series. Title dropping in text would have been fine, maybe ten years ago I might have bought a couple of them. It was just the pic thing that annoyed me a little.

-TaoPhoenix (July 12, 2014, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

The text of the article is talking about the book (series) where that image is shown. It seems to be a part of the article (along with all the other images) and not an ad.

The Rant Thread!

Though that section of the article could very well be "product placement" or whatever. The point is that it's not an ad network or ad banner. It's an image that corresponds to the text. I don't see anything wrong with that.

TaoPhoenix:
"Show Teaser"
I'm about to do a rant on my cable connection to Time Warner. But I'm going to try to do a little homework first. Basically, I've been getting network speeds that would make Renny froth at the mouth and be mistaken for having rabies!
:D

Update: The old adage of "when in doubt, reboot" apparently applies to modems as well as Windows Computers! So, I just have to randomly remember to unplug it whenever I feel like I have re-entered 1994's dialup land!

Funny exhibits:

Renegade:
Basically, I've been getting network speeds that would make Renny froth at the mouth and be mistaken for having rabies!
-TaoPhoenix (November 06, 2014, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Who said I don't have rabies! :P ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version