ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Rant Thread!

<< < (8/13) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
My experience with H&R has taught me they are a big ripoff.  Some fresh out of high school gal (that I knew) that didn't know a tax code from a computer code.  All she did was input information into the computer with no knowledge of how any of it actually worked.  Ask a question about a deductible and it's off to the help files to try to find the answers, which usually turned up nothing.  Wound up getting $40 back and had to pay H&R $55......
  And when they quote you a price for their services, it's ONLY for the 1040.  Any additional forms will cost you extra, and it's not cheap either.
-Tinman57 (February 11, 2013, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

With any of those chains, there *are* some powerhouses preparers, but there's a bit of an inside knowledge game to find them. My early senior trainer was *incredible*. So at worst if you got me in those old days, I had the humility to say I needed to check on something, and in the end it would be right.

But some chains run it really fast and loose, playing the money odds vs customer satisfaction. Esp the individual franchises might be short on top talent. So then it gets dicey including for the well meaning preparers esp facing a state return you've never even seen that has a weird inside trick that just cannot possibly be guessed.

TaoPhoenix:

New Rant:

Why is it that generic search engines on "Advanced Search" (Important!!) always (often)  beat out the local site search for whatever you are looking for?

I am re-watching an episode of the TV show "The Listener". I picked it because I remembered the character "Magnus Elphrenson". So I go to IMDB ... and it tanks. I go to Startpage Advanced and it's in my top few results.

>:(

wraith808:
When people can avoid the natural consequences of rudeness, their real personalities just blossom for all to see.

Want a good example?

Rainbow-Cake Recipe Inspires Comment Apocalypse

...So, wait. How long should I freeze the numbers?

Stoic Joker:
OMFG that is hilarious! Spiraled completely out of control because of a teeny bit of sarcasm.

Christ, I just threw my back out trying to laugh quietly and hysterically at the same time.

:D :Thmbsup:

SeraphimLabs:
Just got a taste of UEFI Secure Boot and the walled garden of Windows 8.

So far, this machine holds the record of how long a system has held out before being forced to load up a Linux LiveUSB and using dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1024 to go nuclear on the partition table. It actually took almost 3 hours to get it to boot Debian.

It would boot Windows 8, and wanted nothing other than Windows 8. After some fudging I managed to get a Windows 7 install stick to boot, but even that would get partway up before going BSOD.

It honestly seems like not only did they make UEFI secure boot a thing just to control how you use the hardware you purchased, but they actually went out of their way to make it difficult to use anything other than what they provide for you to use.

However, I did win that battle. It is sitting on my desk right now at a Windows 7 desktop, and I managed to do it without physically yanking the drive to slave to one of my Debian boxes for forced-wiping.

Like, my god though. I knew they were aiming for a walled garden. But they certainly made it extremely tedious to get out of it. If the next version of Windows really is paid license like they are threatening to do, I am flat out not going to support it and will make everything I need run correctly in Linux.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version