ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Rant Thread!

<< < (5/13) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Okay here's one.

I like Advanced Search because if I want to look up Red Hats I don't want 1,966,354 results about Red Houses and Top Hats.

But sometimes it's astounding what slips through the great morass of results. First, a negative-shout to the semi-automated junk content sites. I got a whim, and decided I want to find the shortest piece of US legislation ever passed. Maybe it's like 3 sentences making something a national flower.

So some site called ChaCha (the name already tells you it's like 9th tier quality). Question: "What was the shortest bill in history?" Answer: "The recent health care was the longest bill ever passed."

REALLY??!

So then I went to Advanced Search on both Yahoo and Google. "shortest US bill".
No Results.

REALLY??!

If I had gratuitous funding to do that kind of thing all day, I'd make a site consisting of phrases that produced no results, and then being the only page. But ever notice it's never 1 page? It seems to go from "no results" to about 100 in a flash.

P.S. I should do a page, to test the theory. So as of this moment, not sure if these links will stay put, but let's mark this point in time:
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7hYLfOBQmXkAU0JXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&n=10&va_vt=any&vo_vt=any&ve_vt=any&vp_vt=any&vst=0&vf=all&vm=i&fl=0&fr=moz35&p=%2B%22shortest+US+bill%22&fr2=sp-qrw-orig-top&norw=1
Yahoo's copy:
We did not find results for: +"shortest US bill". Try the suggestions below or type a new query above.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=shortest+US+bill&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=
Google's Copy:
Information No results found for "shortest US bill".
Stay tuned when I quit being lazy and make a site to test this stuff. And PS. it's pretty easy to bust them on some of the more NSFW stuff too.

Yay Rants!
-TaoPhoenix (December 30, 2012, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well...they now have results :P

Tinman57:
shortest piece of US legislation ever passed. Maybe it's like 3 sentences making something a national flower.

So some site called ChaCha (the name already tells you it's like 9th tier quality). Question: "What was the shortest bill in history?" Answer: "The recent health care was the longest bill ever passed."

REALLY??!

So then I went to Advanced Search on both Yahoo and Google. "shortest US bill".
-TaoPhoenix (December 30, 2012, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
  It pisses me off when the first couple of pages of your search is ranked on whether they're paying members or not, even when it don't have anything to do with your search....

TaoPhoenix:

Well...they now have results :P
-Stephen66515 (December 30, 2012, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ha! That might be a cool way to promote some site, either here or maybe one I do!

TaoPhoenix:

Another Copyright Rant:
http://www.mcgarrsolicitors.ie/2012/12/30/2012-the-year-irish-newspapers-tried-to-destroy-the-web/
aka Irish Newspapers decided linking to a story was copyright infringement and wanted €300 (I had to copy and paste that symbol!) for a single link.

timns:
Well this is kind of trivial, but it really grates:

TV ads that involve banjo music, or whistling. There's some ad agency out there that believes "family-ish" ads must be scored with one or the other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version