ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hotmail backup without POP3 crap?

<< < (3/3)

MilesAhead:
I tried thunderbird 2 3 16 17 with and without WebMail AddOn. It won't accept password.  All I can think is the POP3 is not enabled on my account.

MilesAhead:
I think I found the issue.  I use [email protected]

I have another account with no underscores in the name.  Set up and worked first time.  Looks like I'm screwed unless I can figure out how to get around that problem. :(

Edit: that wasn't it.  Somehow my password got killed. I was getting in via the browser because of the cookie. Boy I really love Captcha'. Only took me 1/2 to get it to accept it.  What fun they've made of the web now!

f0dder:
Perhaps MailStore? Only briefly played with it years ago, but if you like using hotmail as the main interface, perhaps this is decent as a backup?

MilesAhead:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have it working now. Only took 7 hours to do a 15 minute job.  :)
Also I turned on forwarding for awhile. Just to make sure I don't lose emails until I see everything is stable.

I really don't like web mail. Might be great for traveling salesmen or support people who are on the road. But to me it seems flaky.  Just awhile ago I backed up in Thunderbird by moving stuff from a folder where I save mails to Inbox.  Thuderbird downloaded them all fine.  But even though you select all the items in Hotmail with the blue link to really really select everything, when you move to another folder, they don't always get moved.  But by then I already had them backed up so I deleted.

That one page at a time web access just bites in my estimation. :)

f0dder:
I really don't like web mail. Might be great for traveling salesmen or support people who are on the road.-MilesAhead (December 22, 2012, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
*shrug* - the company I'm at uses gmail for infrastructure, works pretty well. Parts of it is definitely has better UX than any normal client I've used. I'm pretty skeptical of basing corporate stuff in the cloud, though, and I'd never trust it for my (all things considered, less important) private emails. I mean, it works super well, but they can index my stuff and patriot-act it and I have no guarantee it'll be there when I wake up tomorrow... but for daily work, it does work great.

Still wondering what to do about personal mail, though. Current thoughts gravitate around dovecot on my linux box along with a imap-pull script, but I'm not really sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version