ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Desktop parts list (RFC)

<< < (8/8)

TaoPhoenix:
it squawks about the Creative applet that starts when I boot, and shuts it down. I'm not sure what to make of that.
-TaoPhoenix (January 11, 2013, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

The EMET notifier is part of Microsoft's extended mitigation experience toolkit. It's designed to detect exploitable and hack-vulnerable code on your system. Which is not the same thing as malware. It's just code that has the potential to be compromised by something or somebody else.

It's probably complaining about CTLTask.exe
 (see attachment in previous post)
CTLTask.exe lets you ditz with your EAX effects on the soundcard. It's not something you need to have running at startup (or probably any other time :two:) so I'd just disable it from autostarting with msconfig or a similar utility. You can always launch it later if you ever do want to play with it.

Onward! :Thmbsup:
-40hz (January 11, 2013, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the help as always! I've never used the toolbar, but I was hesitant to fully uninstall it because I didn't want to hose the whole sound card. But I forgot about msconfig which I haven't used in years. I'll have to poke at it again.

TaoPhoenix:
The software is simple Audacity, and I only use about five features - the stuff I do is pretty simple, but I do a decent chunk of it.-TaoPhoenix (January 11, 2013, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I might be wrong but I don't think Audacity does any hardware accelerated processing, (ie. it doesn't make use of any DSPs), so the CPU will be doing it all.
-4wd (January 11, 2013, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, so while the sound card has some abilities, are you saying I'm not seeing them? Hey Renny, does your program tap any of these advantages any better? I only use Audacity out of habit; it would be much more fun to use a DC program because then if I beg, plead, grovel, and brown-nose enough I might be able to get a bug fix in!  ;D

4wd:
The software is simple Audacity, and I only use about five features - the stuff I do is pretty simple, but I do a decent chunk of it.-TaoPhoenix (January 11, 2013, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I might be wrong but I don't think Audacity does any hardware accelerated processing, (ie. it doesn't make use of any DSPs), so the CPU will be doing it all.
-4wd (January 11, 2013, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, so while the sound card has some abilities, are you saying I'm not seeing them?-TaoPhoenix (January 11, 2013, 10:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty much, it'll just be using it for playback like any normal Windows program.

If you read here you can get direct access to the hardware for low-latency effects but you need to compile Audacity yourself in order to get it, (propriety reasons).

According to this page, on the Audigy you will only be able to apply any effects through ASIO across the stereo output whereas later models, (Audigy 2), allowed you to apply them on a per channel basis but it does list some software that can use the ASIO drivers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version