ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Desktop parts list (RFC)

<< < (2/8) > >>

mouser:
Looks outstanding  :up:

Is memory really that damn cheap?  If so I'd recommend spending more on memory.  I'm sure there is a way to spend more -- either go up to 16gb or get "faster" ram.

4wd:
Is memory really that damn cheap?  If so I'd recommend spending more on memory.  I'm sure there is a way to spend more -- either go up to 16gb or get "faster" ram.-mouser (December 22, 2012, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd recommend more RAM over faster RAM - you're not likely to notice a slightly lower latency unless all you do is run benchmarks.

eg. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

SeraphimLabs:
Any reason you are going Intel over AMD?
-Stephen66515 (December 22, 2012, 08:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Recent generations of AMD hardware have almost entirely lost the performance marketplace. Today AMD CPUs are reserved for Wal-Mart discount systems, although AMD GPUs are rooted in the former ATI line and offer top notch video performance.

Hopefully AMD rebounds their CPU line soon, otherwise Intel might end up with an actual monopoly on CPU technology.

The past few days I have been working with a CAD workstation build spec as point of fact. These machines have to combine raw number crunching power with a GPU designed for 3D modelling and CAD rendering. Build target is only $1000 each, minus OS I am just over $800:

Intel I53550 3.3GHz Ivy Bridge
8GB DDR3-1600
Intel 128GB SSD- This may seem small, but these machines should only store their OS and installed software locally. Userdata and work related materials are stored on the server's RAID filesystem
AMD FirePro V4900 GPU- One of the applications requires an AMD Firepro series GPU for proper rendering support of complex designs. Note that this is a CAD rendering GPU, and will give poor performance when gaming.

For the case I usually pick up something practical and under $50, while the PSU is normally around 400W with a target cost of only $70. Newer CPUs don't require nearly as much power as the Prescott era P4HTs which ran on 400W PSUs without issue, so the only other really power-hungry piece of hardware is the GPU.

Also 8GB of DDR3 is all of $35 now (2x4GB). I'd definitely go higher if you can afford it, the build I am working with probably will do likewise once I figure out how close to the build target I am when I have the rest of the pieces included. At the moment it lacks a HSF specification and will need a bay converter to put the SSD into a hard drive bay.

Ath:
Any reason you are going Intel over AMD?
-Stephen66515 (December 22, 2012, 08:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Simple: Less heat, more speed! :up:

@Skwire
As others said: Go for 16 GB of RAM, Windows 7 runs better with that amount.

And: You could do with a somewhat less specced PSU, 500 - 550 Watt should be more than adequate, unless you have 3+ HDD's or a second high-powered graphics adapter to add.

mouser:
I'm speaking as an observer and not someone who puts together machines, but one possible reason to *way* over-spec on power supplies, is that it's so damn hard to diagnose and correct a problem if it turns out that the problem is caused by an under-powered power supply since it could happen sporadically and is so hard to replace, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version