ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Desktop parts list (RFC)

<< < (3/8) > >>

40hz:
+1 on maxing RAM.

Once you have that it really opens up the wonderful world of virtual machines for you. As in big time. This is one place where having 16Gb really makes a lot of sense.

Also +1 on power. Within reason, you really can't ever have enough. Running a PS with plenty of spare capacity also keeps the heat down.

Good choice on video. And if it turns out to be insufficient that's always the easiest thing to upgrade - so no worries there.

And yes, a MS subscription via TechNet, MSDN, or the Partner Advantage Pack is a genuine bargain. Especially if you're running multiple machines. But even if you only have one, it' still a really good deal. I'm surprised more enthusiasts don't take advantage of those.

I'm mixed on SSDs unless you really need them. (If you do - you know who you are. :mrgreen:) Quality can be a little dicey with some brands/models - and the jury is still somewhat out on long-term reliability - although it doesn't look like it's gonna be a problem from what we're seeing.

I'd probably move the money from the SSD into a snazzier video card after I maxed out the RAM. But that's just me - and your primary uses are likely to be different than mine. ;D

iphigenie:
On the PSU, most PSUs have a "peak performance" zone - you want to buy a PSU that will be in that zone for most of the time you use the computer. So it should be a bit overpowered but not too overpowered, else you will be in a less optimal zone on PSU usage.

I didn't spend a lot of time digging through details and reviews and calculations, though.

I've just recently redone my husband's PC with that very board (Sept) - he's an AMD-predisposed guy but I went intel as well, and with that very motherboard. Great board.

One of the things I pay attention to is the power usage idle and in use. This is because I like my systems as quiet as can be.

If you read up, the power performance (from an energy use and therefore cooling/quietness point of view) of the Intel processors is better at the moment. Seems AMD didn't care about that aspect much. Lower idle consumption, lower full load consumption, it adds up to less energy bills but also less heat and therefore less noisy cooling needed.

On the other hand I went AMD for the graphics because at the time the power usage for the performance you get is better, especially in idle mode or when the screen is asleep but not the machine.

For info - happy to give details on the hardware or check things.
He's on Windows 8 on this machine and only the AMD graphics drivers give any kind of occasional trouble.

case: Antec Solo << all the noise/vibration features of the expensive Antec cases, at a more reasonable point, and looking, well, normal!
Graphics 1GB Gigabyte GV-R777OC-1GD rev2.0 H      << AMD radeon, sweet price point
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, Intel Z77           << great chipset, fab board, was already win8 ready when i bought it in September
Intel Core i3 3220, S 1155, Ivy Bridge   << was at the time great price, overclockable quite a bit (which i don't do, it goes back to "quiet".    
Scythe Shuriken Rev.B Quiet Low Pro    << great cooler
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance << i pay zero attention to memory details and performance, so this is just what looked good, no research.

Only went for 8Gb, although if he starts coding/compiling again I'll up the memory and CPU (not holding my breath). But RAM prices had gone up and it is easy to upgrade later, so I made my compromise. Even in games, not noticing that RAM is a limit at the moment

For comparison, here's my spec - whereas husband's is all new, mine is a mix of stuff I'd bought a year before or earlier this year

Antec Solo Case << had already
Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3, Intel Z77,
750W Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10
Plextor PX-891SA 24x DVD±R, 12x DVD  
Intel Core i5 2500k << had already
8GB Ram (don't even remember)
Intel 320 80GB ssd drive SATA II (filled to about 45-50, boot drive only)
WD Caviar Black 2Tb SATA III (files, games, apps)
Scythe shuriken low profile
HIS HD 6870 IceQ X Turbo << had already

mouser:
I assume you have a spare sata drive you are also going to put into the pc -- if not i'd recommend you get a nice big sata as well.

skwire:
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks.  I ended going with my original list except with 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB.

skwire:
Mouser asked me post a few pics of the final build so here you go:

Apologies for the photo quality as they were taken with my phone.  Also, that Fractal R4 case was simply superb to work with.  Beautiful, understated case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version