ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2013

NANY 2013 Release Find Long Names

<< < (2/6) > >>

limelect:
I researched the file size problem and found the size varies !!! from xp to others.
It is about 255 more or less so i cannot be sure ,and no body is, on the FORMAL file size,
Even the name or extension changes from one window to the other.
As for that i have given all 3 section file dir name and extension to be variable.
A good number will be <250.

TaoPhoenix:
I researched the file size problem and found the size varies !!! from xp to others.
It is about 255 more or less so i cannot be sure ,and no body is, on the FORMAL file size,
Even the name or extension changes from one window to the other.
As for that i have given all 3 section file dir name and extension to be variable.
A good number will be <250.
-limelect (December 22, 2012, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hallo!

I just got around to downloading this now that nany is official because I've had the same types of problems. Let's just say that problems arise on XP whe (something) exceeds about 250 characters. If this includes combined path and filename, I have busted over it quite often! It's real easy for me to have (especially a web page file!) something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\user.NONE-QsgRDDpdfk465\Desktop\Humor\2012\SillyHumor\StuffIReallyShouldHaveDeleted\DonationCoder\StuffToAnnoyMembers\Renegade\Rants\Copyright\PoliceAbuse\ByState\RantOnTXPoliceAndMobileData\TexasPolice_have_decided_that_they_can_do_random_new_obnoxious_things_in_the_name_of_border_control.html

It happily saves like that from the remote news site, then Windows throws a snit fit later when you try to delete it!

So LongNames could be fun!  :Thmbsup:

IainB:
...Yeah, because you want to make a simple archive so you drag and drop your 10 gig folder and go to have lunch, only to come back with a halted process that "file name is too long so I can't move it".   >:(
-TaoPhoenix (December 22, 2012, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, yes. I was trying to zip a few-hundredMB folder into a ZIP file, using the system ZIP built into Win7-64 Home Premium. It refused to ZIP it because of a LFN file. At the time, I didn't have a LFN finder and I didn't want to muck about with it and spend any of my valuable time on what I regard as an OS system bug, so, out of interest, I tried to zip it with 7-Zip, and it zipped without further ado.

jity2:
Dear all,

I also use this other freeware : Pathscanner ( http://www.parhelia-tools.com/products/pathscanner/Download.aspx )
(https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=21424.msg192530#msg192530)

And in order to avoid long filename (260 caracters limit in win7) when saving webpages in Firefox I do the following :
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=23782.msg215928

Then each month I zip my archives this way (I don't use 7zip on purpose as it doesn't display error if filename is longer then 260 caracters!) ) https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=4657.0

Hope this helps ;)
See ya

nekoz:
This tool IS a nice idea, but it appears that the way it was implemented, it doesn't address the issue as directly as would be most useful.

What matters as far as Windows failing to be able to open a given file is that the >total< length of the entire path + filename (incl. extension) not exceed (255? 260? "MAX_PATH") characters.  This tool does not actually give you any way to search by that criteria.  It only allows finding files with a path WITHOUT FILENAME > certain length, or a filename WITHOUT PATH and WITHOUT EXTENSION > certain length.

In the parlance of this tool, what matters is the number that appears in the "total" column - yet there is no way to tell the tool to search for files with total > 255.  I.e. An invalid file might have "path size" 120, "name size" 100, and "extension" 50.  The total is 270, which is too long.  But the only way you would've gotten the tool to find this was by searching overbroadly, i.e. for "path length > 119"...which would of course turn up tons of results whose "total" <= 255.  Plus that search would miss something with path size 100, name size 120, extension 50.

Ultimately, there is no one search you can perform that will find all your long paths.  You have to perform a series of overbroad searches, and then in each case only look at the subset of your search results that actually have long totals.

If this tool allowed for searching by "total," or just did away with the separation between path, filename and extension, it would accomplish the goal.

Also: Feature? Bug? The results list truncates path results that exceed 259 chars.

Thanks for submitting your tool, though!

I tried out Path Scanner, but it merely crashed.

So, has anyone found a tool that just finds files with full paths > MAX_PATH?  This chronic Windows issue can be impossible to avoid; it would be great to be able to catch the offenders (and, ideally, rename or move them within the tool).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version