ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video rant against Windows 8

<< < (2/7) > >>

allen:
Seriously?

He gives himself a lot of credit for investing serious time in reviewing those Operating systems in the early 2000's--I assure you he did not apply the same effort this time around or his conclusions would have been far less entertaining. This guy is either a complete idiot or an opportunistic troll. I'm betting it's largely the later.

I mean, come on -- less user friendly than DOSS?

You can hate Windows 8 all you want. . . some people really miss the start menu. But this is just inflammatory BS.

40hz:
I like the energy in that video :D

That said, I still feel that a well designed service pack could do wonders for Win 8. If they put options to effectively disable the Metro stuff I'd probably go for it.
-Nod5 (December 21, 2012, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1.

Beneath the hood it's quite nice. I don't even have a problem with a flat look. (I actually prefer it. All my personal Nix boxes are set up with minimalist themes and flat icons.)

Just give us the option to permanently disable Metro - and ditch all the cloud nonsense they try to steer you into during the installation - and I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Stoic Joker:
Finished the video and am still completely unimpressed. The guy is whining about aspects of every touch based interface ever designed and blaming it on Windows 8. Which is a total load of crap.

Lack if UI consistency? Bull Shit. If it's on the screen it's click-able there is no fluffy decorations. Now Apple's iWorld? Absolute Zero consistency in control design let alone application design. They just let the artsy fartsy crowd go flat out ape shit creating anything that looked like anything that did anything.

The start button is and has always been tied to the Windows key ... That's why it not a standard 102 key keyboard. And the Windows key still does exactly what it always did even on a (Surface) tablet. So what's with all the simpering and whining?

Hey couldn't find Control Panel. Really?!? I usually just hit the Win key, type control and (hit enter) am there. Vista/7/8 ...Still works the same way. Unless you're either being intentionally obtuse, grew up in a cave.

OMFG How does anybody close an application?!?!? Derp! Alt + F4 ... Just like since the (9x) beginning of friggin time.

He should have skipped trying to be funny and just stuck to making a concise point ... at least the video would have been a much shorter waste of time.

allen:
Update: I may have been wrong, he might not be an opportunistic troll. He might be a complete idiot. He's ranting because windows 8 didn't come with a windows key sticker sticker on the bottom of the laptop and there's no control panel icon on the desktop.

I've said it many timed before but I like to repeat it so I get credit when someone finally writes a book explaining how I was right --  but the *only* rational explanation for the decisions Microsoft makes is that it has been infiltrated at the highest levels by saboteurs who are trying to cause the company to fail.
-mouser (December 21, 2012, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm disappointed that you'd go so far as to say that. You've used the OS for how many minutes and you think it's the end of Microsoft? Nah, just the end of an era -- What are you going to do when Windows 9 is more Windows 8 than Windows 8 is?

mouser:
I hear what you guys are saying, but I stand by my original point:

All of these critiques are extreme exaggerated hyperbole designed to get them page views or whatever.

BUT, having said that -- I still can't help but agree that everything they are pointing out is in fact a user interface design flaw that represents a step backward.

I'm not saying that these flaws are the end of the world, but i am extremely perplexed at these things that seem like clear flaws to me.

Of course I could be wrong -- these could be masterful paradigm shifts in user interface design, but I don't see it.

At the end of the video he quotes a user interface pro (Budiu) making a comment that seemed on point:

"Windows 8 is optimized for content consumption rather than content production and multitasking. Whereas content consumption can easily be done on other media (tablets and phones), production and multitasking are still best suited for PCs. Windows 8 appears to ignore that."

More from her: here.

I think that's a perceptive observation about this new user interface.  It sacrifices desktop usability and content creation in favor of content consumption on a tablet.  That's not so great if you want to use a desktop as a desktop.

I guess from my perspective, Windows 8 feels like a step in the wrong direction for desktops.  I haven't heard or seen anything that would change my mind about that yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version