ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Google Reader - Mini-Review

<< < (11/17) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Hmm. Yeah I knew Google was trimming, but it was stuff like "Google Cooking" and "5 misc features of that". This one feels different somehow, it had a different userbase. I'll have to give this a month to shake out as part of the bigger computing landscape and see what I think later.
-TaoPhoenix (March 14, 2013, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, Google has canceled a few more "projects" then GR and "Google Cooking".... here's a few offhand:
Jim
-J-Mac (March 14, 2013, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I mis-used a word or two, I vaguely recall the list being up there, and the Google blog was saying it was some 70 services. I recall that wide spread being why Google was "innovative". Now that they're "cashing in" Google is feeling "boring" in some sense, of not having a cool new story of "what is Google up to?" I do kinda wish some random company just picked up all that stuff and some "magic charisma" or whatever and suddenly became a new cool "playa".

J-Mac:
What's really a shame is that some of those "projects" were really excellent web apps that Google purchased and then killed off. So now we don’t have a Google version nor the original version.

Jim

wraith808:
What's really a shame is that some of those "projects" were really excellent web apps that Google purchased and then killed off. So now we don’t have a Google version nor the original version.
-J-Mac (March 15, 2013, 12:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, in many cases we do.  For example, Writely is now basis for google docs editor.  Some cases they just killed them off, but in many cases they used that technology as the basis for another service (in many cases, just rebranded).

40hz:
Some cases they just killed them off
-wraith808 (March 15, 2013, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, that's a real problem in a world where independent and small software developers are attempting to coexist with large monopolistic businesses such as Google, Apple, and Microsoft.

As long as so much software remains closed-source and proprietary, there is nothing to prevent the behemoths from buying up and killing off innovation and useful products. Or, where that fails, bullying and/or litigating them out of existence with ridiculous IP infringement claims.

Say what you like about the F/OSS model. The one thing it does better than anything else is protect the enduser from having a product capriciously pulled out from under them. Hardly surprising in that this was Stallman's stated raison d'être for FOSS - to protect the user.

AFAIK there is no other software development/licensing model that can claim the same.

Something to think about. 8)

J-Mac:
-J-Mac (March 15, 2013, 12:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, in many cases we do.  For example, Writely is now basis for google docs editor.  Some cases they just killed them off, but in many cases they used that technology as the basis for another service (in many cases, just rebranded).
-wraith808 (March 15, 2013, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's true, however from what I can tell they have abandoned a lot of what was really good about a lot of them and only picked what they needed. I still would prefer Writely very much over the Docs editor. But, that's what happens with free software I guess.   :(

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version