ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Google Reader - Mini-Review

<< < (10/17) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Hmm. Yeah I knew Google was trimming, but it was stuff like "Google Cooking" and "5 misc features of that". This one feels different somehow, it had a different userbase. I'll have to give this a month to shake out as part of the bigger computing landscape and see what I think later.

Josh:
So, what is a good web-based reader to replace GReader? I operate in environments where using a desktop client is often not allowed, as the software is not authorized.

I see newsblur, but wanted to see what other web-based, non-extension, solutions existed. Thoughts?

Tuxman:
Like, software you won't have to set up yourself?

How about GoodNoows? (While HiveMined is still not ready. First screenshots looked promising!)

J-Mac:
Hmm. Yeah I knew Google was trimming, but it was stuff like "Google Cooking" and "5 misc features of that". This one feels different somehow, it had a different userbase. I'll have to give this a month to shake out as part of the bigger computing landscape and see what I think later.
-TaoPhoenix (March 14, 2013, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, Google has canceled a few more "projects" then GR and "Google Cooking".... here's a few offhand:

Answers
Audio Ads
Base
Blogger Web Comments (Firefox)
Browser Sync
Catalogs
Click-to-Call
Dashboard Widgets
Deskbar
Desktop
Dictionary
Directory
Google Pack
Dodgeball
Free Search
Gadgets
Gears
GOOG-411
Hello
Image Labeler
Jaiku
Joga Bonito
Lively
Local
Mashup Editor
MK-14
Music Trends
Notebook
Pack
Page Creator
Personalized Search
Photos Screensaver
PowerMeter
Public Service Search
Rebang
Related Links
Ride Finder
SearchMash
Send to Phone
Shared Stuff
Sidewiki
Spreadsheets
University Search
U.S. Government Search
Video Player
Voice Search
Web Accelerator
Writely
X
Health
Labs
Notebook
Wave
Body
Fast Flip
Tashkeel
Browser Size
Art Project
City Tours
Google Breadcrumb
Squared
Realtime Mytracks
Script Converter
Aardvark
Sets
News Timeline
Places Directory
Google Talk Guru
Julia Map
App Inventor

And that list is at least two years old; I'm sure there have been more since then!

Jim

oversky:
I'm trying out @40hz's suggestion re Sage. in the discussion: Re: Suggestions for a RSS reader
I've long since given up on something that's all-in-one.

These days I use the Sage extension in Firefox as my RSS reader and save what I want to keep to my Pocket (formerly ReadItLater) account or using Scrapbook depending on what it is.
None of the above have much in the way of bells & whistles.
Which is exactly the way I like it. YMMV. ;)
-40hz (December 23, 2012, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
-IainB (March 13, 2013, 08:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW I'm still using the FF+Sage+Pocket+Scrapbook combination. And I'm still perfectly happy with it. :Thmbsup:

(And I've tried every feed reader I could lay my grubby mitts on that ran on either Windows or Nix in the meantime. Have yet to find anything I like better or which offered some feature so compelling that I absolutely had to have it. YMMV  :))

-40hz (March 13, 2013, 08:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I suggest you try Brief extension. I think it is much better than  Sage.
http://bit.ly/WiejA8

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version