ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Google Reader - Mini-Review

<< < (4/17) > >>

J-Mac:
This is the second time that Nick has "killed" FeedDemon after I paid for the latest version. If I didn't know better I'd think it was a racket.

Jim

40hz:
Also, yay at Nick for simply killing FeedDemon instead of doing something crazy like, you know, perhaps open-sourcing it.
-f0dder (March 14, 2013, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
^ +1 from me.
-IainB (March 14, 2013, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. There's that. ;)

40hz:
This is the second time that Nick has "killed" FeedDemon after I paid for the latest version. If I didn't know better I'd think it was a racket.

Jim
-J-Mac (March 14, 2013, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's when I stopped using it. After that first time it was killed and then mysteriously brought back. For some reason I strongly suspected it was done more as marketing move (i.e. Don't want to support it? Fine! Try doing without it then.) on Nick's part.

And I was a paying user, so I felt a little justified in being annoyed.

40hz:
Well, if you ain't payin', you ain't a customer.

Software as a Service - gotta love it :-*

Also, yay at Nick for simply killing FeedDemon instead of doing something crazy like, you know, perhaps open-sourcing it.
-f0dder (March 14, 2013, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

And therein stands the house of cards that more and more of so many people's web experience now resides in. :Thmbsup:

IainB:
On the Official Google Blog, in the post about all the changes and/or killed services (2013-03-13) A second spring of cleaning, it says:
These changes are never easy. But by focusing our efforts, we can concentrate on building great products that really help in their lives.

--- End quote ---

In Googland, in the post [G] Powering Down Google Reader, it says:
There are two simple reasons for this: usage of Google Reader has declined, and as a company we’re pouring all of our energy into fewer products.

--- End quote ---

The implications of these statements and under the current circumstances would seem to be:

* 1. Some products were not regarded as having been entirely useful (were poorly-performing) - they did not "really help" during their product lives - so their lifespan was shortened/terminated.
* 2. Such products were perceived to be an unprofitable real and a financial drain on resources, and turned out to be less-than-great products, so have been terminated.
* 3. There are some arbitrary market target usage (performance) threshold criteria set for Google Reader and/or other products, and if product usage/performance falls below this performance threshold, then the relevant product will be terminated.
* 4. Google has perceived that it has previously scattered its resources across too many poorly-performing products. and is going to focus now on putting its resources into fewer products. This situation will be arrived at by judicious pruning of poorly-performing products (so expect more product terminations).
* 5. The Google Executive have been rethinking their marketing strategy in the light of less-than-desirable profit performance.
I have often wondered whether Google was throwing money down the drain, particularly as regards, for example, Buzz, WAVE, Google Earth and satellite imaging, Street View, and Picasa.
I had always thought Google to be "shades of CDC" in its philanthropic heyday, under its founder's rule (William Norris).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version