ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Poll: Is donationcoder an iOS unfriendly environment?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Renegade:
I'm not voting since there's no "IT SUCKS AND APPLE ARE BASTARDS THAT MUST DIE" option :P

Still, to give it credit, animation on iOS is far superior to Android or Windows.-Renegade (December 12, 2012, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Android yes (their graphics stack is horrible - Google made a bad choice in not designing with hardware acceleration from day 0), but Winphone no - at least the Winphones I've seen have been noticeably smoother than iOS (lumia800 class HW+OS and forward).
-f0dder (December 13, 2012, 03:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Windows? Really? Hm. Guess I need to check some newer phones then. Last time I checked, they sucked badly. I have an HP Windows PDA, and man... sucky just doesn't begin to describe it. It's a bit older though, and I suppose that I'm being a bit harsh there.

app103:
I have an HP Windows PDA, and man... sucky just doesn't begin to describe it. It's a bit older though, and I suppose that I'm being a bit harsh there.
-Renegade (December 13, 2012, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not harsh at all if it is as old as my PDA. While most of it is ok, pIE 3.0 really sucked. No support for CSS at all! I can remember when I was developing a website for my dad and he kept viewing it on his Pocket PC and complaining how it looked like crap compared to viewing on the desktop, and he demanded that I fix that. Could not figure out what the issue was till I did some research on designing pages for pIE and found out it lacked CSS support. It had none at all, which is why the pages I wrote had no color when viewed on my dad's Pocket PC. I had to do it old-school with HTML colors and fonts coded into the page and use CSS only for positioning elements. (yuck!)

app103:
The DonationCoder community has a reputation of being rather obsessed with finding the best tool for the job. This obsession leads us to sometimes be rather critical of the flaws of software that doesn't meet the requirements to be the best of the best.

Our honesty is a good thing, if you are a developer looking to improve your software. If you receive a less than stellar review, pay careful attention to it and the discussion that follows, and dedicate yourself to fixing the issues that were brought up, you'll be well on the path to having your software among the best of the best.

I am pretty sure if Apple paid attention to what the community here had to say about iOS and made the necessary changes, iOS would be the best of the best and this community wouldn't be afraid to admit it. But the changes they would have to make are massive, and would also require them to change their business model...something they are not likely to want to do.

Stoic Joker:
Windows? Really? Hm. Guess I need to check some newer phones then. Last time I checked, they sucked badly. I have an HP Windows PDA, and man... sucky just doesn't begin to describe it. It's a bit older though, and I suppose that I'm being a bit harsh there.-Renegade (December 13, 2012, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

A bit older?? The fact that it's called a P.D.A. puts it back about a decade. I've yet to hand my HTC Aspire (WMP7) to anyone that didn't comment on how smooth the graphics. Several folks had to flip it over to check the logo before commenting/believing it was Windows..

Renegade:
The DonationCoder community has a reputation of being rather obsessed with finding the best tool for the job. This obsession leads us to sometimes be rather critical of the flaws of software that doesn't meet the requirements to be the best of the best.

Our honesty is a good thing, if you are a developer looking to improve your software. If you receive a less than stellar review, pay careful attention to it and the discussion that follows, and dedicate yourself to fixing the issues that were brought up, you'll be well on the path to having your software among the best of the best.
-app103 (December 13, 2012, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still don't agree that a static image (with no network connections) in software constitutes it being adware. That was one of the issues that first brought me to DC. I still think it's pretty harsh.

Windows? Really? Hm. Guess I need to check some newer phones then. Last time I checked, they sucked badly. I have an HP Windows PDA, and man... sucky just doesn't begin to describe it. It's a bit older though, and I suppose that I'm being a bit harsh there.-Renegade (December 13, 2012, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

A bit older?? The fact that it's called a P.D.A. puts it back about a decade. I've yet to hand my HTC Aspire (WMP7) to anyone that didn't comment on how smooth the graphics. Several folks had to flip it over to check the logo before commenting/believing it was Windows..
-Stoic Joker (December 13, 2012, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it's about 4 years old or so. Maybe 5 now. I also have a Palm Pilot III. :P But, that's ancient history.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version