ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Poll: Is donationcoder an iOS unfriendly environment?

(1/7) > >>

Krishean:
I've seen a lot of posts and topics here one way or another about Apple's mobile operating system, but I would like to know everyone's opinion on how they felt the forum's overall stance on it is. Personally I'm not a fan of it, but everyone is entitled to their own preference. Also, this may or may not be your opinion on iOS, but what you think the forum's stance is.

Edit: To clarify what i mean by iOS unfriendly: If you think more people on the forum dislike iOS than like it and that there are more iOS critical topics on the forums.

KynloStephen66515:
IMHO: I wouldn't say we are iOS unfriendly, its just iOS is more closed down, and for a place like DoCo (FOSS stuff) it is not a friendly platform.  Thus, making it difficult for people who support the DoCo model, to find any love for it.

40hz:
I don't think anyone can really speak for the forum as a whole. There are as many differing opinions on just about everything as there are members here. Speaking for myself, I own and use an iPhone. And I don't think very highly of it.

But my criticisms and attitude toward it isn't much different than it is for any other smartphone since the telcos do their best to lockdown everything running on their networks. And they've been doing that since the days of the old Bell Telephone System who arranged to make it a federal offense to plug anything into the US telephone system that wasn't manufactured by Bell Labs - their captive manufacturing company.

If the forum has an overall attitude, it's that of basic geeks who don't suffer fools too gladly when they happen to be corporations that should know better than to carry on the way they do.

If Apple occasionally seems to get more than its share of criticism and put downs, that's only because Apple's condescending attitude towards the rest of the world in general invites an equally snarky response when they drop the ball or play games with their customers.

And that's not confined to just Apple. Microsoft has gotten its share of heat for where they're going with Windows 8. Linux gets its share of shots for the uneven level of quality among the various distros and GNU projects, and the GPL. So I hardly think there's a general feeling of knee-jerk unfriendliness towards iOS. It gets criticized for what it is as well as for what it is not. But I think most of the criticisms are valid and based on due consideration of the technical issues surrounding iOS as well as the corporate policies Apple is bent on pursuing.

At least that's what I think. (And you'll easily get dozens of people here who will disagree with me and/or characterize it differently.) That's a good part of what makes DoCo what it is.
 :) 8)

TaoPhoenix:
From a different angle, I just randomly picked up an iPhone before Android really got going, as my one and only model of smartphone after I ditched some HTC WinMobile 6 piece of junk.

I have typed posts here at like 3AM in hotel rooms on it, so the forum mostly displays on iOS. I think there was some funny glitch a few times, but I'll leave that for later. I'm no fan of a lot of the policies of Apple, but knowing I'm in the lion pit, I can indeed get a few things done with my iPhone that weren't ever possible for me before.

Renegade:
If Apple occasionally seems to get more than its share of criticism and put downs, that's only because Apple's condescending attitude towards the rest of the world in general invites an equally snarky response when they drop the ball or play games with their customers.
-40hz (December 12, 2012, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that sums it up pretty well.

For iOS, I've been openly hostile towards it because of the closed nature of it. As a concrete example, it is impossible to read data from a file in the device's multimedia library. Literally. Impossible. You cannot do it. It is that closed. Sure, you can create an object from a class defined in iOS (read: proprietary and closed) to consume the file through a URL, but you cannot read the data yourself. This is unforgivable.

Still, to give it credit, animation on iOS is far superior to Android or Windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version