ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are the new Firefox versions coming with adware built in?

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
@superboyac: Yes, it looks like it's probably on your PC. If you don't want to manually fix it per @Curt's comment, then I'd suggest you run Malwarebytes (free version will do) over your PC, plus a virus check on the whole disk. That should fix it.

By the way, some malware/viruses I have come across on infected PCs had effectively stopped/disabled firewalls and the running of virus/malware checkers, and even editing of the Registry. To save time/trouble, I usually remove the infected drive and use MBAM and then a virus checker to clean it as a slave drive to a clean PC.

f0dder:
superboy, do you ever visit any of those "click LIKE to watch this {movie, picture, whatever}" facebook sites? Prime way to get malware on your box. Had to clean up two of my brothers' PCs last weekend, I'm pretty sure that's how they got crap on their system (neither of them download warez, and at least the youngest of them doesn't watch pr0n). The malware had even disabled AdBlockPlus and Ghostery both in Chrome and FireFox.

Attacks can also happen totally automated from drive-by attacks, of course, and you don't even need to visit seedy sites, a single compromised banner-ad server is enough. AdBlockPlus+NoScript+Ghostery ftw... oh, and not having Java, Flash or AdobePDF plugins in your browser.

superboyac:
superboy, do you ever visit any of those "click LIKE to watch this {movie, picture, whatever}" facebook sites? Prime way to get malware on your box. Had to clean up two of my brothers' PCs last weekend, I'm pretty sure that's how they got crap on their system (neither of them download warez, and at least the youngest of them doesn't watch pr0n). The malware had even disabled AdBlockPlus and Ghostery both in Chrome and FireFox.

Attacks can also happen totally automated from drive-by attacks, of course, and you don't even need to visit seedy sites, a single compromised banner-ad server is enough. AdBlockPlus+NoScript+Ghostery ftw... oh, and not having Java, Flash or AdobePDF plugins in your browser.
-f0dder (December 13, 2012, 03:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's possible, I don't know.  Just never happened before.  I use ad muncher, ad block, MSE.  I don't know if I can get away with no java or flash...wouldn't you have a difficult time seeing multimedia on the websites?

f0dder:
It's possible, I don't know.  Just never happened before.  I use ad muncher, ad block, MSE.-superboyac (December 13, 2012, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
AFAIK MSE only scans executables - so if you get exploited by something that does direct process injection and never drops anything, it probably won't help. EMET helps mitigating against exploits.

I don't know if I can get away with no java or flash...wouldn't you have a difficult time seeing multimedia on the websites?-superboyac (December 13, 2012, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
When I need flash, I fire up chrome for that particular site (I've also got ABP and Ghostery in Chrome, as well as "click to play" enabled for against plugins). When I need browser Java, which is exclusively for the national digital signature single-sign-on crap, I launch a virtual machine for that specific purpose. PDFs are always downloaded and viewed with an external program (Foxit or Sumatra).

Sure, it's a minor annoyance doing it this way, but considering the amount of exploit vectors it eliminates, it's well worth it.

superboyac:
^^I like your style.  Will experiment...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version