ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is new Ubuntu 12.10 spyware?

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
That's what we call to AVG and similar other AV which are now taking over affiliate links on pages.-mahesh2k (December 10, 2012, 05:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm? That's something that's completely escaped my attention - got any (reputable) sources on this?

MilesAhead:
I didn't see any way you can get to either of these pages from the homepage. AFAICT
-40hz (December 10, 2012, 11:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. I liked Mandrake because they were very open about taking features of several distros to make something programmers would love to use.  I was using RedHat before them, and Slackware before RH.  RH was pretty good but the package tool/standard directory set up wasn't smooth. Too many things I'd have to mess with for days to get to work after set up with the package tool.

When I got Mandrake with APT it felt like cheating.  One or two tweaks and most things were good to go.  None of this 2 weeks to get something to work business.  That Mandrake 9.1 was a fun distro.

I digress due to nostalgia. :)  But the point is Mandrake never passed other's work off as theirs that I noticed. I got a very cool feeling using it and interacting with others using the same distro.

40hz:
^Mandrake was (and it's successor is) a very fine distro. One of the best IMHO. Now that they seem to have gotten their management issues and differences under control it's yet another good option for a Linux desktop installation. I used to call it "RedHat done right."  It's still in the top 30 on Distrowatch's website. And with good reason.  :)

mahesh2k:
That's what we call to AVG and similar other AV which are now taking over affiliate links on pages.-mahesh2k (December 10, 2012, 05:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm? That's something that's completely escaped my attention - got any (reputable) sources on this?
-f0dder (December 10, 2012, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if it's reputable for you : http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20121128-906987.html?mod=WSJ_qtpressrel_pressrel

f0dder:
--- End quote ---
-f0dder (December 10, 2012, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know if it's reputable for you : http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20121128-906987.html?mod=WSJ_qtpressrel_pressrel
-mahesh2k (December 11, 2012, 02:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Reputable enough - but the article doesn't really say anything? Unless it's hidden in that big blob of dense legalese :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version