ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File sharing advice

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
Do you know how many phones have WiFi... majority?-Perry Mowbray (December 06, 2012, 11:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

All smart phones and quite a lot of the pre-smart phones had WiFi.

You could set up a Bluetooth PAN, (Personal Area Network), with a $2 Bluetooth USB adapter which should cover any phone that has Bluetooth but that's beyond my knowledge.

So I could take my Router, and I presume that it'll set up WiFi without a DSL connection?, and give everyone the password which will give them access to the shared directory... I can see that working: particularly like the no-cost element.
--- End quote ---

Yes, that should be fine.

Another alternative to the removing the Delete permission would be a script/program that watches for new files and spirits them away to another non-shared folder for safety.

Perry Mowbray:
Another alternative to the removing the Delete permission would be a script/program that watches for new files and spirits them away to another non-shared folder for safety.
-4wd (December 06, 2012, 11:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's what I'm doing with the other scripts... watching for removable drives connecting and copying off the photos.

Thanks for the suggestions... the head is starting to catch up now :)

Perry Mowbray:
You could set up a Bluetooth PAN, (Personal Area Network), with a $2 Bluetooth USB adapter which should cover any phone that has Bluetooth but that's beyond my knowledge.
-4wd (December 06, 2012, 11:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that link, I wasn't aware of BlueTooth PAN.

I'm guessing by your "$2" comment that there is no benefit getting a more expensive adapter?

What would you think: WiFi or BlueTooth PAN or Both??

4wd:
You could set up a Bluetooth PAN, (Personal Area Network), with a $2 Bluetooth USB adapter which should cover any phone that has Bluetooth but that's beyond my knowledge.-4wd (December 06, 2012, 11:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm guessing by your "$2" comment that there is no benefit getting a more expensive adapter?-Perry Mowbray (December 07, 2012, 12:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not that I know of, the more expensive ones probably offer increased range at greater power draw but since Bluetooth is a close-proximity connection, (<10m), there's no need to invest in anything more expensive.  I have 3 or 4 $2 adapters that I bought from DealExtreme, they seem to work fine.

What would you think: WiFi or BlueTooth PAN or Both??
--- End quote ---

WiFi definitely.

As I said above, I've had no knowledge of Bluetooth PAN - the most I tried was between my computer and my phone and it didn't want to work, don't know why.  So if you want to dabble in it, I'd recommend not spending more than about 10 minutes getting it to work, (the time it would take to set up a WiFi AP), any more than that and I doubt whether it would be worth the trouble for the guests to use it.

cmpm:
One approach would be this:

* Set up an account at an image hosting/sharing site, like SmugMug, etc.
* Have everyone install an app that will let them send photos to that account and tell them password, OR maybe easier, see if you can set the account up to accept new images by email.
* Then have your local program download new pictures uploaded to that account.-mouser (December 06, 2012, 10:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think some folks would like to touchup their photos, if you have friends like mine.
I do like that idea about setting up an account. I'm not sure if SmugMug is free.
But Flickr and others are.

You could set up a Flickr account or another quicky easy enough with a simple password.
I don't think an App is needed. Just log in and upload from any phone or computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version