ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

It's about ... why is the left seat the command seat?

(1/4) > >>

barney:
OK, I've looked at this before, but w/o a definitive answer.

Just finished watching Starship Troopers, the first of a [so far] trilogy on film of R A Heinlein's book of the same name.  It occurred to me that they - the film makers - always put the command pilot in the left seat.  US film, US habits, I suppose, but the question is why?

I can understand the English/UK/Europe folk making the [wheeled vehicle] right side the command side, considering the history [and forms] of combat there.  But why is it [I thimk] universal today than the command pilot sits in the left seat?  I've tried to research this in the past, several times, but never derived a definitive answer.

So, anyone here have that definitive answer?  Or even a clue or pointer as to the why?

I'm not gonna lose sleep over it - I hope! - but I'm damned curious.

(Edited for typos)

KynloStephen66515:
Only true in 'Fixed Wing' Aircraft...Helicopter pilots (commanders?) Sit in the right seat.

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer why this is, but I know Aircraft pilots sit on the left, as "Air-Highways" are laid out like they are in America (Where they drive on the wrong side of the road) - Thats the only logical explanation I have for it.

As for Helicopter pilots, its possibly because its easier to use the cyclic in your right hand, and control the radios, collectives, nav, etc, with the left.

barney:
Yeah, I overlooked choppers, but I've seen as many with left controllers as right ... doesn't seem to make much difference to those pilots.  When I was in Southeast Asia (many moons agone), I saw as many left seaters as right seaters ... assume(d) it was personal preference, although it might have been accommodation to the bird's construction.  Still damned curious, though.

MilesAhead:
I think if you invent something or dominate in a field, you exert influence on the customs/implementation. Like the dominance of English in programming and Internet. Hitler was hip to this ploy. That's why he insisted on naming the Telephone Fernsprecher instead. They had to come at him through France to straighten him out. :)

With the helicopter thing it may be less ingrained since it takes off vertically. You don't have to drive it down a runway to get up speed.

Then again it could be if you are the boss you have to have a "right hand man" and it's just not the same if the subordinate is on the left. (Many executive types are suspicious of leftists to begin with.)

barney:
With the helicopter thing it may be less ingrained since it takes off vertically. You don't have to drive it down a runway to get up speed.
-MilesAhead (December 06, 2012, 08:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now that's a valid point  :huh:.  One that I'd not have considered, otherwise.  Thanks  :up:.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version