topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 11:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Globay hotkeys  (Read 4931 times)

QuickBrownFox

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Globay hotkeys
« on: April 19, 2006, 02:04 PM »
This is my first post on this forum and first I just want to say I love FARR and can't believe how I got by without it before I started using it yesterday.

Now to my question. From what I've gathered on this forum version 2 will have allow you to create global hotkeys to launch programs. I for one would love to see this implemented. Will setting global hotkeys work in the same way as setting the hotkey for FARR does at the moment? i.e. you click on a text field and actually perform the key presses.

I ask because I want to assign the extra buttons on my laptop's keyboard (e-mail, web browser, search) as hotkeys and the current FARR hotkey text field lets me do this (although the field remains empty, the hotkey still works). However, I have used other hotkey programs (such as Hotkeyz) which use these text fields for capturing key presses but don't recognise my extra buttons. I guess what I'm saying is, however you made that key capture text field, keep making them that way! =]

noth(a)nk.you

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • More than meets the eye.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Globay hotkeys
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 12:52 AM »
This sounds like something you could _easily_ implement with AutoHotkey.

For your viewing pleasure,
my global hotkeys
^!+d:: ;Daemon Tools
run C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe
return

^!e:: ;Excel
Run c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE
return

^!f:: ;Firefox
Run c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
return

^!+f:: ;Filezilla
Run C:\Program Files\FileZilla\FileZilla.exe
return

^!i:: ;IrfanView
Run c:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
return

^!n:: ;Notepad
^!z::
run c:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe
return

^!p:: ;Paint
Run c:\Windows\system32\mspaint.exe
return

^!w:: ;Word
Run c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
return

Here's their tutorial to get you started.

To point you in the right direction, you'll probably need to open the Key History to capture the SC codes of the keys (e-mail, web browser, search) and use those to implement your hotkeys.

The people here should be pretty helpful with any questions that should come up.

QuickBrownFox

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Globay hotkeys
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 06:55 AM »
Actually since I made that post, I've done exactly the things you said and it works. Having said that, if FARR is going to get hotkey functionality anyway, then I'd rather use just one program to do both things, and if I wanted to change my config, I'd rather do it by GUI than text file. Thanks, though.