ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Windows Defender (also Microsoft Security Essentials MSE) - Mini-Review

<< < (2/4) > >>

SQUIDMAN:
PC world and Cnet both gave this software pretty strong praise, I also use CC Cleaner, Spy Bot search and destroy, and Iorbit AV, all free.  :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
I used to use Norton some ... ten(?) years ago. A Bunch of free stuff in the middle. Come on, with the dev power MS had, you know they could have done it in like 1999, they politically chose not to.

So finally someone did some PR math and decided to do it in house, and it's not bad. Nothing is perfect, but ... not bad. 10 years too late, but whatever, that's how MS works.

Carol Haynes:
I am waiting for the prosecution in the EU given that it is included in Win8 and switched on as standard.

I suspect one of the reasons MS didn't do it earlier is because of all the anti-trust lawsuits they were facing - which makes it all the odder that the included it with Win8 ???

wraith808:
I am waiting for the prosecution in the EU given that it is included in Win8 and switched on as standard.
-Carol Haynes (December 08, 2012, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

If they do, they're shortsighted.

I suspect one of the reasons MS didn't do it earlier is because of all the anti-trust lawsuits they were facing - which makes it all the odder that the included it with Win8 ???
-Carol Haynes (December 08, 2012, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably because of the fact that many people don't know what they should get for AV, and the companies are taking advantage of that on Windows.  And since the firewall thing flew, I don't see any reason why this shouldn't.

IainB:
2013-01-04: Minor update. Updated the review in the opening post with the latest version numbers. Only the 2 definitions files have in fact changed since the original review dated 2012-12-05, so the software itself is unchanged.

Old/previous:
    Antimalware Client Version: 4.1.522.0
    Engine Version: 1.1.9002.0
    Antivirus definition: 1.141.1057.0
    Antispyware definition: 1.141.1057.0
    Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.1.8904.0
    Network Inspection System Definition Version: 18.36.0.0

Current/latest
    Antimalware Client Version: 4.1.522.0
    Engine Version: 1.1.9002.0
    Antivirus definition: 1.141.3134.0 <-----New
    Antispyware definition: 1.141.3134.0 <----- New