ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > LaunchBar Commander

LaunchBar Commander on Windows 7 x64?

(1/3) > >>

J-Mac:
LaunchBar Commander runs fine on my current computer, a Windows 7 x64 running Windows Professional - for the most part. However occasionally, usually upon Windows shutdown and most often after installing an update for LBC, an error dialog pops up. Actually it pops up many times! I can't tell how many because the computer is in the process of shutting down so I have no control of my mouse and very little control of my keyboard when it occurs. But the error dialog - attached below - first appears at mid-screen and the keeps replicating, each one a little lower and to the right. This massive trail of error dialog boxes continues down to the lower right corner of my monitor and once it reaches there it just keeps piling one on top of the previous... until Windows finally decides to shut down anyway!

It all happens so damn fast that I haven't been able to snap a photo of it, though I have tried. Believe it or not I got my digital camera out, sat it next to my keyboard, and waited for it to happen again, hoping to get a photo of the screen the next time it happened. Of course like that fabled "watched pot" it just would not do it again as long as my camera and I were ready!! Naturally as soon as the camera was moved elsewhere the damn error popped again - I think it was sticking its tongue out at me! Evil thing!

It appears that the cause it a line of code (am I saying that right, as a total non-programmer-type?) that refers to an installation location of C:\Program Files\, when, as a 32-bit program it is always installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\. Windows sees that line and since it can't find LBC there I guess it gets a little annoyed. And so it decides to see if it can annoy me in turn. And obviously succeeds!

Anyway, here's the error dialog:

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

Thanks for any help with this!

Jim

mouser:
On Windows 7, LBC should not be trying to save anything to its Program Files directory.. The only time that should happen is if you edited the ConfigDir.ini file to try to make it portable, or if you moved the files from a WinXp machine maybe.

Can you check for that? If you are purposefully storing your dock data file in the LBC program files directory, you need to not do that.

J-Mac:
mouser, I'll take a look again to see where everything is, but I have set anything up at all. Everything is exactly where it was installed. I created my dock about two years ago and have never changed the .ini file nor moved anything.

Now two years ago I believe that I would have had XP installed. I started using Windows 7  - looks like I purchased the family pack in Nov 2009, so I guess it has been Windows 7 for about three years. I see that my first dock was created sometime earlier in 2009, so my original installation would have been on XP. Now as to how I got that onto Windows 7, I can't remember.

What is it I need to look for and fix/edit?

Thanks!

Jim

mouser:
load up your dock as normal, then go to config, and do a File -> Save File As
and then save your dock file someplace under your documents directory.

J-Mac:
OK, my LBC files all seem to be located at D:\Documents\DonationCoder\LaunchBarCommander\

That folder contains an .ini, .mcp, .mcf, and .bak files. However while there were several old backup (.bak) files in the Documents directory, most of the backups for my dock are in the Program Files directory, which is exactly where you posted that LBC should not be trying to save files.

Unfortunately I can't find any information regarding where to save what. Also, no place I can find in Options to designate file locations. Looks like the .ini file could do it but I don’t understand all of the coding there. For example, the Form Placement line doesn’t mean anything to me. Surely there is a better way to designate file locations!

Here are the contents of my LaunchBarCommander.ini file:

[Global]
LastDefaultImageDirectory=
LastDefaultImageDllDirectory="C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe"
LastProjectFileName="D:\Documents\DonationCoder\LaunchbarCommander\LaunchBarCommander.mcp"

[Treeform.MainProperties]
acSplitterPanelMain.SplitterPos=450
CheckBoxRemind.Checked="false"
EditLastVersion.Text="1.133.01"
FormPlacement="0,1,-1,-1,-1,-1,619,123,1401,867"
TBXMRUList.Items=text:"C:\Program Files (x86)\LaunchBarCommander\Jims Main Dock.mcf$0D$0A"
TBXToolbar1.CurrentDock="TBXDockMain"
TBXToolbar1.DockPos=-1
TBXToolbar1.DockRow=0
TBXToolbarMain.CurrentDock="TBXDockMain"
TBXToolbarMain.DockPos=-1
TBXToolbarMain.DockRow=0

Maybe you can make sense of it.

Thank you.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page