ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2013

NANY 2013 Pledge - Progress Bars of Life - v1.06.01 - December 31, 2012

<< < (8/14) > >>

Jibz:
Ok, here are some first thoughts from playing around with it:

First thing I noticed is how difficult it is to read the black text on the red bars, and to some extent the brown ones as well.

I still think it would be a good idea to give the user the option of full controll via strftime. I can imagine there could be bars where you would prefer to always have the time left in say days instead of the smart setting. Would also make it easier to "localize" the bars for people outside US/GB.

Perhaps an option to add a little spacing between the bars?

Is there an option somewhere to have it not always on top when windowed?

Would be nice if the right-click menu of the individual bars would let you open the properties for that bar.

The textual progress appears to only work for the modern visual theme.

The smooth visual theme has the "update glow" effect on it every time the bar is updated, which is slightly annoying.

I am guessing the visual themes are a new addition, since the colors are wrong as well.

It might be an idea to truncate percentages instead of rounding to avoid having bars show at 100% before the entire time has elapsed.

Some events are "full day", I am a little confused about what I should set the time at. Like my birthday, should is tart at 00:00:00 and end at 23:59:59 the same day next year?

Maybe the option to create bars that just count an amount of time with the ability to start/stop/reset? .. I am thinking along the lines of a "Take a 5 min break" bar that you could reset and start whenever you needed a break.

It's quite fun to play around with, good idea :Thmbsup:.

mouser:
New version is up which now supports bar "theme" files; two are included that are very basic.
If you want to add more themes, make copies of the .bartheme files in the Themes directory and edit with text editor.

You can adjust lots of settings from those files, though it's decidedly manual labor.  You can even make the bars larger than default.

You can configure the default bar theme to use from main options Appearance tab, and then override the theme on each bar if you want.

I'll comment on jibz suggestions next.

Please share any good theme files you come up with -- i'd love to include them in the official release!

mouser:
Some events are "full day", I am a little confused about what I should set the time at. Like my birthday, should is tart at 00:00:00 and end at 23:59:59 the same day next year?
--- End quote ---

I can understand the confusion but the START date is not the date at which the event starts.

It's the date at which TRACKING for the event starts.

So the two common choices for start date are the CURRENT date, or the first day of the year.

The END date for a bar is going to be what you set to the event.

So for your brithday, you would set the end date to the morning of your birthday, and the start date to the first of the year (or the current date).

That way the bar tells you how close you are to your birthday starting from the starting date.

mouser:
First thing I noticed is how difficult it is to read the black text on the red bars, and to some extent the brown ones as well.
--- End quote ---
choose the new Smooth theme -- without those boxes with white backgrounds it's a lot easier to read.  once we decide on the best theme i'll make that one the default.

The textual progress appears to only work for the modern visual theme.
The smooth visual theme has the "update glow" effect on it every time the bar is updated, which is slightly annoying.
I am guessing the visual themes are a new addition, since the colors are wrong as well.
--- End quote ---

i've done away with all but modern type bars for now, but added theme files for them so you can customize the looks.

Maybe the option to create bars that just count an amount of time with the ability to start/stop/reset? .. I am thinking along the lines of a "Take a 5 min break" bar that you could reset and start whenever you needed a break.
--- End quote ---

good idea.. i was also thinking for manual bars a simple "right click to increment" option.

Is there an option somewhere to have it not always on top when windowed?
Would be nice if the right-click menu of the individual bars would let you open the properties for that bar.
--- End quote ---

good ideas.. the ontop behavior is slightly buggy and annoying.

I still think it would be a good idea to give the user the option of full controll via strftime. I can imagine there could be bars where you would prefer to always have the time left in say days instead of the smart setting. Would also make it easier to "localize" the bars for people outside US/GB.
--- End quote ---

i don't think it's as simple as you are suggesting -- remember this isn't a date/time that's being formatted -- it's an "elapsed time" or time "difference" ..  is there a strftime like function for that?

superboyac:
Thanks mousey!  I've been meaning to keep better track of my schedule:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version