ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How 4 Microsoft engineers proved that the “darknet” would defeat DRM

<< < (3/10) > >>

wraith808:
For an easy example, some videos on Youtube are blocked to mobile browsers. I'm sure my betters have ideas around that. (Browser header changing and all that jazz?)
-TaoPhoenix (December 01, 2012, 09:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure what you mean there in that context.
-Renegade (December 01, 2012, 09:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, last I understood DRM it meant restrictions & rights on digital media, right? So would coding videos on YouTube count as DRM? Or is there some implicit extra factor that the DRM has to be attached and embedded as some kind of software encoding?

In other words, I see similarities between things like WMA music files and non-mobile or region-blocked YouTube files.
-TaoPhoenix (December 01, 2012, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

The files aren't blocked.  The service is blocking it.

TaoPhoenix:
-wraith808 (December 01, 2012, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I saw some similarities in the end effects. So then I guess you're saying that DRM is something that travels with the file.

wraith808:
-wraith808 (December 01, 2012, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I saw some similarities in the end effects. So then I guess you're saying that DRM is something that travels with the file.
-TaoPhoenix (December 01, 2012, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Correct.  If I password protect an area of my own site, or make it so that I program that you can't get to it if your IP is in a certain place, that's not the file's fault.  That's the delivery mechanism.  With DRM, it happens no matter where or when you open the file.

tslim:
On the other hand, I am completely for offline storage. With hard drive prices going down, it is easier to download a file and store it than to rely on the cloud. I have almost completed ripping my 850 DVD collection to MP4 for storage on our media server. This will be complete once I am able to setup a Raid 1 array of about 4TB. Right now, I am stuck at 2TB on a single disk. Once I get a new enclosure, I will setup a Windows-based raid mirror (hardware raid is flaky unless you invest in a reliable controller, not those cheap promise boards).
-Josh (December 01, 2012, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Kind of OT, but... Have you looked at FreeNAS? Someone recommended it to me in another thread and it's been wonderful.
-Renegade (December 01, 2012, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Josh - +1 w/Ren on FreeNAS. It's a great solution. Before you commit to using Windows, consider giving FreeNAS a try. It won't cost you anything other than your time to try it out. You may be surprised to find it's everything you need - plus a whole lot more.

Although I'm not too big on recommending RAID for most personal uses and/or skill levels, it does have it's place. And the software implementations of RAID running under the NIX environment have proven extremely reliable in my experience. And I do servers for a living. So I see a few more of them in operation than most people do.

Just my  :two:  :Thmbsup:
-40hz (December 01, 2012, 07:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

IMHO, it is not worth the trouble and risk to use RAID for video collection. (particularly RAID 1)

Normal setup of HDD is fast enough for video playing (even HD movie).
If you raid a pair of 2TB HDD, you risk to lost all 4TB video files when either one is down and that is all for the sake of performance gain that you hardly notice when openning a video file (not when playing it)

If you are talking about RAID 0, again a synchronizing  program which synchronizes between a pair of 2TB HDD periodically seems to be a better solution then RAID 0, because you can copy file to the HDD faster.

In brief, I find in unwise to use RAID 0/1 for a passive storage, like video collection.

wraith808:
^ Agreed.  Totally.  It's a bit of a hassle to switch between storage from the streaming device if you have more than one drive, but the peace of mind I get is totally worth it.  Especially as I've been burned by RAID1.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version