ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How 4 Microsoft engineers proved that the “darknet” would defeat DRM

<< < (5/10) > >>

wraith808:
I have over 1000 DVDs.  Keeping track of them and storing them is becoming prohibitive.  And I have a living room TV and a TV in the man cave that I watch them on.  Add to that the fact that the kids watch on their computers sometimes, and my wife watches them in the bedroom, and having them in one place and accessing them over the network is just more convenient.  And I specifically have devices that I don't have to decode them with.  There's also no compression; I have them all in MP4 in a MKV container.  I'm still working on ripping them all... I've just about filled up 2TB and that's only a quarter of the collection.  But it just works for me.

40hz:
^Wow! That is one awesome collection!  :tellme:

Like I said earlier: YMMV - and you definitely have a lot more 'mileage' to cover than I ever will.  ;D

tslim:
I have over 1000 DVDs.  Keeping track of them and storing them is becoming prohibitive.  And I have a living room TV and a TV in the man cave that I watch them on.  Add to that the fact that the kids watch on their computers sometimes, and my wife watches them in the bedroom, and having them in one place and accessing them over the network is just more convenient.  And I specifically have devices that I don't have to decode them with.  There's also no compression; I have them all in MP4 in a MKV container.  I'm still working on ripping them all... I've just about filled up 2TB and that's only a quarter of the collection.  But it just works for me.
-wraith808 (December 02, 2012, 10:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am also storing my DVD collection (much smaller than yours) in a 2 TB HDD.

Just curious, why don't you rip your DVDs and keep them in ISO format (like I do)?
If you convert them into mp4 format, you tend to loss quality, further more what about the DVD startup menu? Are you doing your own authoring work?

May I also ask this, what is the advantage of keeping a movie in mp4 format contained in a mkv file than directly keep it as mp4 file? (Isn't mp4 file sort of container by itself?)

f0dder:
so I could never see what the hassle was with just loading a DVD into a player before settling in for an hour or two to watch it. But maybe that's just me?-40hz (December 02, 2012, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
DVD/BR players are noisy, and then you have to deal with all the annoying menus, copyright warnings and trailers that can't be skipped.

A .mkv on the fileserver (generally pretty quiet, and located in the next room) starts instantly, no nonsense, no fuzz.

f0dder:
If you are talking about RAID 0, again a synchronizing  program which synchronizes between a pair of 2TB HDD periodically seems to be a better solution then RAID 0, because you can copy file to the HDD faster.-tslim (December 02, 2012, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Eh... wat? Copying a file to a single harddrive is no faster than copying it to a raid mirror. The same data chunk can be written to all mirrored drives in parallel, and there's practically no CPU overhead. There's a fair amount of filesystem traversal (which means both CPU and HDD overhead) if you do periodic syncing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version