ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Putting a Classic Menu on Windows 7 - Redux

<< < (3/3)

Innuendo:
Also, I kept feeling like the new copy "overwrite yes/no/maybe" dialog was less functional and intuitive than the previous method, but kind of just chalked it up to unfamiliarity. But the Classic Shell page shows exactly why the new method is so retarded. Why oh why does MS do this?? Seriously, to all those people who love the new Win7 method(s) of doing things, what do you have to say about this?-JavaJones (March 09, 2010, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I absolutely love Windows 7, but I am not too qualified to speak on the way it does things. 99% of all file management I do is from within Total Commander. It has a very diverse "overwrite yes/no" dialog & I don't think I've seen Windows 7 Explorer's dialog even once in the entire time I have used the OS. Which brings me to that last 1% I actually do use Explorer...I have TeraCopy installed that replaces Explorer's copy/move routines with its own.

Trying to use Windows Explorer for copying, moving, and other file management is like trying to build a house using only a sledge hammer & a few bottles of tequila. The results may be entertaining to see, but there are better ways to attain your goals. :)

As for the Start Menu, as with previous versions of Windows before it, in my mind the Start Menu becomes a lot more powerful & easier to use once you go in to the Start Menu properties and turn on "Display as a menu" for everything. Even just turning that option on for the Control Panel display in the Start Menu will save many a person's hair from being ripped out.

Arizona Hot:
I just got a Win 7 machine and didn't like the Start menu, so I installed ClasicShell 3.6.2 and changed my Start menu to this:

Love it too!

MilesAhead:
Seems like neither the cascade or the drill down were done right. I didn't like how XP kept covering more and more of the desktop as it expanded across.  But it's a pita getting the All Programs arrow thing to open.  I liked the idea of Vista Start Menu since it was free and did stuff like avoid rearranging everything just because you delete a shortcut. One thing I hate is stuff shifting around to make yet another search when the thing is in front of you but not exactly where you're habituated to seeing it.  That's the main drawback to Stand Alone Stacks.

But I use that and RocketDock to minimize start menu access. On Vista Start Menu page there's a nice write-up about what a time-waster it is to reposition shortcuts just to keep strict alphabetic order. There's an algorithm to tolerate some blank spaces before rearranging is triggered.

Although I see Stand Alone Stacks has a sort option modification decending, which would put the stuff I added most recently closest to the Taskbar in grid mode. I think I'll try that instead of searching the shortcut name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version