ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A month with my Surface RT

(1/3) > >>

anandcoral:
Read about Win8 RT http://encosia.com/a-month-with-my-surface-rt/

After just a few hours of using the Surface, I realized that I was reaching up from the keyboard to tap and scroll without thinking about it on a regular basis. Having a responsive touch screen a few inches from where my fingers naturally rest on the Touch Cover completely changes what feels natural.

--- End quote ---

Well, this was most debated feature in blogs/forums, that using a touch screen along with keyboard is a no-no. But after reading the above post, I think MS has somehow got what Apple already has, natural user interface.

Obviously I too would touch the screen to load a different code file or highlight-cut etc. Much easier and natural than moving the mouse to the exact position.

Something do work together.

Regards,

Anand

tomos:
After just a few hours of using the Surface, I realized that I was reaching up from the keyboard to tap and scroll without thinking about it on a regular basis.
--- End quote ---
(author's emphasis)
cant comment much beyond saying that with win8 on a laptop without a touch screen I've more than once went for the screen in the tiled interface. Of course it didnt work for me :( :)

Having used iOS and Android tablets almost daily for a couple years, Windows 8 is the best tablet operating system I’ve used yet. There’s really no comparison. Once you learn the new gestures well enough to use them effortlessly, Windows 8 makes those older operating systems feel as dated as they look.
--- End quote ---
(author's emphasis)
Nice to see he rates it so highly

Gotta say though:
Using the Win8 desktop with a touchpad is a big PIA. Youre just moving mouse from a to b and things open and dont close (mainly I-think-it's-called the charmsbar with they time plastered big in the bottom-left quadrant of the screen).
They need to give the otion to deactivate certain stuff in the desktop.
Of course one day, all screens will be touch sensitive. Maybe.

tomos:
Just finished the second half of the review. They sound really nice all round.
It is a real pity that you cant install software (x86) - especially seeing as you can get such a nice keyboard - also considering that the new pro version "is rumoured to ... have a full-power Intel processor, a stylus/digitizer, and other PC-class hardware."

Maybe someone will fix that for them though...

dr_andus:
Of course one day, all screens will be touch sensitive. Maybe.
-tomos (November 27, 2012, 07:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Will that be really quicker (and ergonomically better) to lift and move my arm to touch a desktop screen than let's say make a teeny gesture with my thumb with a trackball mouse? I can see why it might be the case with a tablet but I have doubts re desktop monitors... Even voice command sounds like a better (future) option (though I do like my trackball mouse...).

tomos:
^ yes I know what you mean! I was being a little ironic there (even though it may well be the case).
I didnt intend to bring the thread off-topic btw.
Desktop screen is a different topic really (i.e. -no offence intended- but seeing as it's so hard to keep win8 threads ontopic I would suggest it for another thread).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version