ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

External DVD Writer

<< < (3/4) > >>

4wd:
You'll have to move the writer closer to the free IDE connector on the existing ribbon cable - depends whether you, (or your mum), can be bothered.

Spacing on IDE cables seems to be pretty standard, so if it doesn't reach both devices with the existing flat ribbon cable, a rounded version won't make any difference.

You only have one IDE port on the motherboard, so both the existing Maxtor HDD and old IDE DVD need to be plugged into the same cable, (as it was previously).

If you want to go this route, grab another picture of the inside as it is now and we'll suggest device positioning to get everything going, (might be time to vacuum it out again anyway ;) ).

CleverCat:
There have been interesting developments here! After testing it is starting to look like is was the Media Monkey burning engine that was playing up! After an update  :o

I have burned a disc using Win 7 and WMP and am currently playing it and so far so good - no decoding errors!

You have good recall 4wd - even I forgot those details!  :-[ Mum has to dive into case soon to disconnect SATA drive while I install Ubuntu on IDE so will see what we can do then...

Will keep u posted after disc finished playing... :D

Target:
There have been interesting developments here! After testing it is starting to look like is was the Media Monkey burning engine that was playing up! After an update  :o

I have burned a disc using Win 7 and WMP and am currently playing it and so far so good - no decoding errors! -CleverCat (November 26, 2012, 04:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

there's probably (?) nothing wrong with your drive

some (most?) disc handling app's have an option to lock the tray when they're doing something (ripping, writing) which is probably where this went wrong.  If the app fails the lock command may not be released and you'll probably have to use the paper clip to release the tray (possibly even after a reboot).

I have had success using another program to unlock the tray when this happens (eg imgburn, or diskcheck, or freac, or ahk...)

CleverCat:
My local PC shop is interested in your ahk script - can I send them a copy along with the ahk program?

Disc I burned with plain old windows is fine so am going to roll back MM to previous version and test.

:D

Target:
My local PC shop is interested in your ahk script - can I send them a copy along with the ahk program?-CleverCat (November 27, 2012, 03:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

knock yourself out  :Thmbsup:

hmmm, then again, maybe I should hold out for a lucrative licensing deal :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version