ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Removed Areas > Basic

What flavors of basic?

<< < (3/7) > >>

f0dder:
Stay away from PowerBASIC, it's users are zealots and the product is extremely overhyped, it's way too expensive, and has pretty lousy code generation. It's also not very flexible, and has pretty bad documentation.

mrainey:
I would highly suggest you to avoid IONICWIND, their website, forums, applications because after all you get is grief!
--- End quote ---

That's a little rough.   :(

I've been using IBASIC and/or EBASIC for the past five years and have managed to stay happy and be productive with them.  I'm not a "follower" any more than some people here are mouser's "minions" (from an alt.comp.freeware post).  There have been some rough moments on the Ionic Wind forum, I agree.  Hopefully the new freeware business model will make things better.

Those languages, along with Aurora (OOP) and the new CBASIC interpreter, are powerful, stable, and fun to use - and all are now freeware.

Target:
Whoa!! and I thought that was a simple question...

I'll take it that the answer is no, there is no officially preferred option

many thanks to all who responded, I shall look into the nominated alternatives

with respect to emergence, I have no particular allegiance here, I just started using it.  I will say that so far, so good.  The documentation is reasonable for a beginner, though it could be better.  I have yet to venture into the forums (you need to register first, and they screen your application) 

Thanks for the various heads up, but I tend to lurk more than anything as most forums seem to have a number highly active and responsive members who are far more skilled/experienced than I (and I tend to avoid rabid or elitist groups like the plague - I just can't be bothered with that sort of nonsense)

FWIW, I'm also working with FBSL, and it's driving me crazy!! 

I'm a braille programmer (no, I'm not vision impaired, and apologies to any who might be offended by that) - that is to say, I code by bumping into things (often repeatedly).  I usually have the editor and the help file open side by side and switch between the 2 as I go (I seem to spend a lot more time in the help files...).   

The FBSL documentation is probably fine for someone who already has another language under their belt, but I'm really struggling with it.

of course this has nothing to do with the original thread, but I really needed to vent <end rant...>

Cpilot:
Target, I would highly suggest you to avoid IONICWIND, their website, forums, applications because after all you get is grief!
--- End quote ---
I think this indicates a mindset out there that is a little unseemly, programming languages are tools. No more and no less, it's one thing to be loyal too and enjoy a particular flavor/style, but it's another to be a rabid fanatic in thrall to a specific language and it's users and developer.
The mindset has become infested here too, and in reality it becomes a turnoff for a lot of people.
No one programming or scripting tool "speaks" to everyone, that's why there are so many out there.
Anyone who allows themselves to be captivated by this kind of mindset only to become bitter over the experience have only themselves to blame.
Use the tools you like and IMO respect the choices of others, if you like a particular tool but are turned off by the community then find another or create your own.
Coding/scripting is supposed to fun for the coder/scripter, just think how many potential learners become turned off by the continual trash wars that are out there.

And also think about the consequences when the much ballyhooed clique favorite doesn't "speak" to a newbie, instead of finding an alternative they are possibly just fading away in frustration, and all the rest of us are poorer for it in the loss of a future application or clever snippit that could have been shared.

mlwhitt:
I completely agree with the avoiding Ionic Wind and any of Paul Turley's projects.  Matter of fact I blogged about the whole deal today over on my blog http://michaelwhitt.com/blog/?p=90

I don't have anything personally against Paul.  I think he is a smart man.  I just think that he has no clue how business works.  As the above poster mentioned he has a habit of posting all his troubles on the support forum.   He likes to beg for donations.  Begging just doesn't work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version