topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: any drag&drop users?  (Read 75688 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
any drag&drop users?
« on: March 22, 2005, 07:48 AM »
No love for drag&drop robot? it's actually one of the more useful tools i've written, simply because i don't know of any other tools like it...  maybe its too confusing to use?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: any drag&drop users?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 09:55 AM »
just tried to post a long message and it timed out and i've lost it all - i'll try and be quicker this time.

can you make drag&drop incorporate a kind of shortcut option. like the droplet feature in photoshop.

as an example:

i've regularly got a list of files that need there extension changing to another type. i use a renaming program to do this but it would be better if i had an icon, say on my desktop, that i could just drop the files or folder onto that would then invoke drag&drop and carry out the required action.

this way a user could set up several 'shortcut' icons, placed about their system that they could just drag and drop files or folders onto and specific batch file operations would be carried out depending on what 'shortcut' it was.

i hope that makes sense.

i might be trying to reinvent the wheel but i've not seen any program that does it and drag&drop is half way there to doing it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 10:13 AM »
that's a good idea, i will try it and see how hard it is to do, might be easy to implement.

jballi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: any drag&drop users? - Error codes
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 07:32 PM »
I finally found a use for D&D (DDR or D&DR?) - LAME encoding.  Unfortunately, I had to write my own batch script to do most of the work since there are way too many options and D&D doesn't offer the option to just manipulate the 1st node of the file so that source and target files are different when converting MP3 to MP3.

Anywho, so far it's working well.  It saves me some time when converting a lot of stuff in many different folders.

One thing I noticed is that D&D doesn't identify (or care) about return codes from batch files.  Is this by design or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 10:07 PM »
we were just talking about how d&d should maybe be given an option wrt. return codes, which it currently ignores..
what exactly do you mean that "D&D doesn't offer the option to just manipulate the 1st node of the file so that source and target files are different when converting MP3 to MP3."

there are some very good lame gui tools btw, razorlame is one i think, that you might want to check out.

jballi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 12:33 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I'll look forward to what you decide to do about return codes.  The only thing that I wanted was is for D&D to display a message in the Output Window when an error is found (good).  That way I can go back through the output to find the problem.  In addition to the error message, you might consider adding an option to stop processing (and beep maybe) when an error is found (better).  That way I can deal with the problem when it occurs.

I have tried and do use RazorLame fairly regularly.  It's a little out of date (hasn't been updated for several years) but as long as you know how to get around the outdated stuff, it works great.  Also, it does support drag & drop.

Let me apologize in advance for the verbose nature this section.  Sorry 'bout that.

In response to your question, I apologize for the way I worded the situation.  I could have been clearer.  I'll give it another try...

The issue doesn't really relate to basic encoding -- converting a WAV file to an MP3, it relates to converting or re-encoding an MP3.  Say you have an MP3 encoded at 320 kbps and you want to load it to your portable MP3 player.  Relatively speaking, an MP3 encoded at 320 kbps is huge!  To save space, the best thing to do is convert the MP3 to a more reasonable bit rate.

Because you are converting or re-encoding an MP3, the target file name is the same as the source.  If you are lucky, LAME or RazorLame will catch it and stop you from overwriting the original file.  I say lucky because under certain conditions (wacky target folder definition), LAME does not realize that the source is the same as the target and will overwrite the source file while it is processing it.  Needless to say, the source file is destroyed.

Of course there are work-arounds.  The most obvious work-around is to define a different target folder.  My issue with that is that I've got an infinite number of source folders.  What came from where?  What if I want to put the converted file back in the original folder?  Which one was it?  Another work-around is to convert to an MP3 with a static name, delete the original, and rename the converted MP3 to the original.  My issue is that I want to keep both the original and the converted file.

My solution is to add a static tag to the 1st node (everything before the first . (dot)) of the file.  For example, an MP3 with the file name of "Heart - Magic Man.mp3" would be converted to file with the name "Heart - Magic Man (128).mp3"

With D&D, I can add a static string to the fully qualified file name (not worth much in this case) or to the end (changes .mp3 to something else) but I can't prefix or append anything to the just the file name.  This issue is not just with LAME or other MP3 encoders, it's any program that converts a file type to the same file type and you want to do it in the same folder as the source.

If you think it makes sense, you might want to consider adding a %3, %4, and %5 options to represent the unqualified file name (full file name without the qualified path), the file name only, and the extension only.  I'm sure that others will find these options valuable.

Thank you for your consideration.  Once again, I apologize for the verbose nature of this post.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 01:26 AM »
after you spend some time here you will see how verbose i can be so no need for apologies :)

actually what you are requesting is implemented already - just not well documented in current help file.

see this thread for the fields to grab various parts of the file name:
https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=666.0

i'd be happy to add more fields if any can be thought of that would be useful.

the return code flagging seems exactly right; next version will include an option to report error return codes if desired.

jballi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 04:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  It looks like exactly what I was looking for.  I'll give it a try/see.  Thanks.

djlong3000

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 08:31 PM »
Hi -

just downloaded this today, and was ecstatic to have found just what I needed.  Then I tried to use it, and found I either misunderstood the program's function, or I just don't know how to get it to do what I need.  To wit:

I have a series of 9 pdf files:  longname1.pdf, longname2.pdf, etc   I need to merge them into one single pdf, which I would normally do with a command line utility "pdftoolkit" (pdftk.exe). 

The command is "(c:\windows\system32\)pdftk(.exe) longname1.pdf longname2.pdf ... longname9.pdf cat output mergedfile.pdf".

I was hoping that DND would let me just drop the whole list of pdfs into the file window, and it would parse the list into batch variables (%1 %2 %3 %4), and then execute the concatenation command.

Can the program do that - run one command on a list (group) of files - and I am just not getting it? 

Or is it only for running a single, repetitive command on each member of the file list.

Thanks

Doug

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 09:07 PM »
im afraid the program is for only for running a single, repetitive command on each member of the file list.

but perhaps adding a mode to do what you want is not a bad idea..

springro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 07:47 AM »
Hey Mouser,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm a very happy user of Drag and Drop!

Something I would like to see is a text log save option.  So you could turn on brief for the display, but have detailed log file that can be reviewed if needed.  Right now I run in some options in detailed mode and then copy/paste so I have it to review if needed.

Somebody mentioned similar above, but I would be interested in having an option where you can have an individual shortcut to open drag and drop with a certain profile selected.   The main reason for asking is that I find myself trying to drop folders onto something that is expecting files and vice versa because I forgot to switch the config selection before dragging.  It's a pretty minor thing, but it's an idea.

Alternative would be to make it so that if you drag files onto the name in the list of commands box it would switch to that routine and add the files/folders to the list.  (Just to make sure this option isn't already there, I dragged into the config area field -- it cleared out the config file list!  Scared me for a second - but they were back on reload).

Again, thanks for this program.  It's great for simplifying the front end when you write the occasional little script - especially one that only gets occasional use. 

Best,
Rob

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 07:56 AM »
very good ideas! finally some ideas to improve drag+drop.
i'm putting it on my todo list

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 08:30 AM »
Hi -

just downloaded this today, and was ecstatic to have found just what I needed.  Then I tried to use it, and found I either misunderstood the program's function, or I just don't know how to get it to do what I need.  To wit:

I have a series of 9 pdf files:  longname1.pdf, longname2.pdf, etc   I need to merge them into one single pdf, which I would normally do with a command line utility "pdftoolkit" (pdftk.exe). 

The command is "(c:\windows\system32\)pdftk(.exe) longname1.pdf longname2.pdf ... longname9.pdf cat output mergedfile.pdf".

I was hoping that DND would let me just drop the whole list of pdfs into the file window, and it would parse the list into batch variables (%1 %2 %3 %4), and then execute the concatenation command.

Can the program do that - run one command on a list (group) of files - and I am just not getting it? 

Or is it only for running a single, repetitive command on each member of the file list.

Thanks

Doug

Why not use http://homepage.onid...pdfe/shelltools.html which also adds some flexibility on which pages to process too.

kefrey

• Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 11:03 PM »
Just found it. Just learning to use it.  It seems useful. I reported a bug.

To really make use of it requires GnuWin or some other set of utilities and some skill at the Windows command line, which is possibly the most arcane programming language since IBM OS/360 JCL.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 07:46 PM »
i don't get a lot of chances to use this, but I just did some annoying archiving through folders, and this saved me at least 2 hours.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Glad to hear it was useful!